Full Liquid Diet for Bariatric Gastric Band Post-Surgery Patients
The full liquid diet phase is for Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Band (Lap Band) Patients only.
What to Eat During a Full Liquid Diet After Laparoscopic Adjustable Band Bariatric Surgery
During the full liquid diet phase following your lap band surgery:
- Continue consuming 48–64 total fluid ounces (six to eight, 8-ounce cups) per day.
- Add the suggested liquids below to your diet.
- Consume ½ cup of full liquid fluids at each meal.
- Skim milk with protein powder
- "No added sugar" Carnation® Instant Breakfast®
- Meal replacement drinks
- Fat free yogurt (no added sugar)
- Strained cream soups
Liquids Between Meals
- Wait at least 30 minutes after each meal. Then consume an 8 ounce protein supplement or shake followed by 16 ounces of sugar free, clear liquids.
- Try to spread fluids out over a three-hour period.
- Stop drinking at least 30 minutes before mealtime.
Remember, your stomach is still recovering from lap band surgery. It's common to experience nausea or vomiting at this point. Please keep yourself hydrated.
|Breakfast: ½ cup protein
½ cup skim milk with:
- ½ scoop protein powder, or
- ½ cup meal replacement
|Lunch: ½ cup protein
||½ cup fat free yogurt (no added sugar)|
|Dinner: ½ cup protein
||½ cup strained, low fat cream soup|
** Don't forget your liquids between meals (about 30 minutes after each meal).
Your bariatric surgeon will advise you on other foods you can eat after lap band surgery, and when to advance to the next phase of your diet.
» Phase 2B: Pureed Diet
« Your Diet After Bariatric Surgery