Bariatric Surgery Process: Our Multidisciplinary Approach to Bariatric Surgery
UPMC's multidisciplinary approach to bariatric surgery includes personalized care from all members of the weight loss team — before, during, and after your surgery.
- Receive assistance and ongoing support from our bariatric surgeons dietitians, psychologists, and exercise specialists.
- Access educational activities and support groups before and after weight loss surgery.
- Achieve long-term, weight loss success as our lifelong partner.
We're with you every step of the way.
The Steps to Surgical Weight Loss at UPMC
Step 1: Do you qualify for weight loss surgery?
- Weight loss surgery may be appropriate for those who are 100 pounds or more overweight, have a Body Mass Index of 40 or higher, or who have a body mass index of 35 or higher accompanied by one serious obesity-related health problem.
- Begin your journey by attending a free bariatric surgery information session. Offered several times a month, these sessions help you learn about requirements, the surgery process, and the lifestyle changes you will need to adopt.
Step 2: Schedule your bariatric consultation at UPMC
Step 3: Begin the Presurgical Lifestyle Support Program
- This six-month program will prepare you for both surgery and your insurance requirements.
- You will learn about healthy diet and exercise habits.
Step 4: Prep for your bariatric procedure
- Follow your doctor’s pre-surgery diet program.
- Ensure you are able to take four to six weeks off work.
- Prepare the foods and vitamins you’ll need after surgery.
- Cease smoking and alcohol consumption.
- Ensure you have received insurance approval and have completed all necessary paperwork.
Step 5: Undergo your weight-loss procedure
- You will most likely require a two-hour pre-op, in which your care team will prepare you for surgery.
- You will undergo anesthesia.
- During post-op, your care team will monitor your vital signs and help manage your pain.
- Most patients remain in the hospital for one to three days after their procedure.
Step 6: Post-bariatric surgery recovery
Step 7: Adopt a new lifestyle
- You will need to begin a new diet and exercise plan. Many patients can begin exercise about six weeks after surgery.
- Your care team will arrange long-term support and educational services to help you achieve long-term weight loss success.
- You will attend follow-up appointments with your care team to ensure a healthy recovery.