Lung Screening Program
A recent landmark study, published in The New England Journal of Medicine, has shown that screening using a CT scan of the lungs can detect tumors early and can reduce lung cancer mortality by up to 20 percent for smokers.
The UPMC Comprehensive Lung Center has developed a special screening program for smokers to provide easy access to lung screening for individuals who meet the parameters of the program.
- You smoke or were a smoker within the past 15 years.
- You are between the ages of 55 and 74.
- There are additional eligibility requirements - please call for more information and to find out if you're eligible for the screening.
- The screening program consists of a one-hour group educational session, followed by a lung CT scan, which will be interpreted by a board-certified radiologist.
- The screening program is offered at UPMC Presbyterian in Oakland. Convenient valet parking is provided free of charge.
- There is a fee for the program. The cost is not presently covered by insurance.
After the Screening
The results of the scan will be sent to you and your doctor. Depending on the results, you will be advised about the need for continued screening or additional testing and treatment.
To make an appointment, call 1-855-588-6542.