About the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
With a staff of award-winning physicians, researchers, and faculty, the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PM&R) treats patients at the UPMC Rehabilitation Institute, as well as on an outpatient basis.
Awards and Honors: Top Rehab Doctors, Programs, and Research
The department’s reputation for the science and practice of rehabilitation attracts top doctors and investigators who continue to make advances in both clinical and research environments.
Mission, Vision, Core Values
To maximize the health, function, and well-being of the people and populations we serve by providing the highest quality rehabilitative medical care, conducting highly relevant, cutting-edge research, and training the next generation of clinicians and researchers.
We will lead the nation in rehabilitation and disability research, education, and care. We will be the provider of choice for physiatric care, and a leading advocate for people with disabilities and their families.
- Provide the highest quality evidence based rehabilitation care.
- Hire and train dedicated, passionate, dynamic faculty focused on innovative patient and family centered care within optimized team-based delivery models.
- Maintain supportive and transparent academic and clinical environments.
- Foster teamwork, cultivate education, promote research, and encourage advocacy.
- Exceed our patients' expectations and maximize the health, function, and well-being of the people and populations we serve.