UPMC Sports Medicine offers two full-service outpatient facilities in the Pittsburgh region -- the UPMC Center for Sports Medicine, located on Pittsburgh's South Side, and the brand new UPMC Lemieux Sports Complex in Cranberry Township, serving Pittsburgh's northern suburbs, Butler County, and surrounding areas.
UPMC Center for Sports Medicine
The UPMC Center for Sports Medicine is one of the leading sports medicine facilities in the United States. This state-of-the-art facility is on the cutting edge of research and treatment, and features:
- 34 large examination rooms
- Large bore MRI technology
- Full-sized therapeutic pool
- A training and rehabilitation gym with extensive circuit machines, free weights, and isokinetic and aerobic equipment
- A Neuromuscular Research Laboratory
- Plyometric training floor to help recovering athletes regain power and restore quick movement capabilities
- Specialized equipment and training area to simulate an athlete’s performance requirements
- Specialized performance training center
Indoor Training Center
The UPMC Indoor Training Center features a quarter-mile four-lane running track and full-size practice football field. The climate-controlled facility allows the Pittsburgh Steelers and University of Pittsburgh Panthers football teams to practice during bad weather. The center also is home to many sport-specific camps and clinics through the UPMC Sports Performance program.
Sports Training Center
The Sports Training Center is the ideal setting for athletic training, physical training, and team management. The center houses two side-by-side facilities that offer a complete complex for administration, training, and press communications. The Sports Training Center’s four 80-yard outdoor fields with observation towers allow coaching staffs to clearly analyze and improve on-field performance. Other features of the sports training facilities include team meeting and film viewing rooms, fully outfitted weight training rooms, hydrotherapy facilities, including whirlpools and an aquatic trainer, and spacious state-of-the-art locker rooms.
UPMC Lemieux Sports Complex
Opened in August 2015, The UPMC Lemieux Sports Complex serves as a comprehensive outpatient facility for UPMC Sports Medicine, and is also the primary practice and training center for the NHL’s Pittsburgh Penguins®. This first-of-its-kind facility features:
- 185,000 square feet of total space
- 54,000 square feet of clinical space
- Orthopaedic clinic with 24 private patient rooms
- UPMC Sports Medicine Concussion Program
- Physical therapy gym overlooking Penguins practice rink
- Aquatic therapy
- On-site MRI and x-ray imaging
- Two full-size hockey rinks with approximately 1,100 total seats
- Sprinting track and batting cages
- Ample free parking
The UPMC Lemieux Sports Complex is situated alongside Interstate 79 in Cranberry Township, Pa., with easy access from the Pennsylvania Turnpike (Interstate 76). The center serves the areas of northern Allegheny County, southern Butler County, and the surrounding Pittsburgh region. This multi-use facility will become a destination for athletes of all ages and skill levels seeking leading-edge injury prevention and treatment from experts in sports medicine.