Cycling Performance Program at UPMC Sports Medicine
Get the most from your bike ride, whether it’s on the road or on the trail.
UPMC Sports Medicine's Cycling Performance program can help you ride longer and faster while preventing or managing a biking-related injury.
Our highly-trained experts and evidence-based performance cycling program offers:
- Assessments of bike equipment, mechanics, and proper bike fit.
- Management and treatment of cycling-related injuries.
- Technical consults and injury prevention methods.
- Other cycling performance tips to assist performance on your rides.
Our personal, collaborative bike-fit process will help you find the ideal on-bike position based on your:
- Health history
- Fitness level
- Cycling goals
We offer an unbiased, clinical approach that includes:
- Comprehensive, clinical approach that includes both physical and mechanical variables related to injury
- Complication of documented fit recommendations
- Focus on medical management – application for both prevention and performance
- Unbiased, clinically based approach that includes musculoskeletal considerations involving injury management and prevention
- Cycling-specific musculoskeletal assessment
- Cycling-related injury assessment, treatment, and rehabilitation recommendations
Rail-Trail Fit Program and Pricing
Our beginner level fit program is designed for the cyclist looking for an injury-free ride in proper biomechanical positioning.
Price: $75 | Time: 75 to 90 minutes
Enthusiast Fit Program and Pricing
If you're looking for better management of a cycling-related injury or an issue limiting your joy of riding enjoyment of cycling, this is the program for you.
This program is for any cyclist — whether you're the:
- Serious road rider
- Weekend century rider
- Club racer
- Cyclocross racer
- Endurance mountain biker
- XC mountain biker
We'll help you achieve more power, control, comfort, and efficiency.
What the enthusiast cycling fitting includes
- History of your riding, including your riding style.
- Future goals for your riding.
- Current discomforts on the bike.
- Medical history in regards to cycling.
|Structural analysis &
- Foot structure, knee position, leg length.
- Kneeling forefoot measurement.
- Standing toe touch.
- 1/3 knee bend.
- Single leg squat assessment.
- Saddle height, saddle fore-aft
- Bar and stem position
- Lever position
- Shoe, cleat, pedal interface
It also includes a follow-up visit within 60 days.
Price: $150 | Time: 1.5 to 2 hours
Triathlon/Time Trial Fit Program and Pricing
When seconds count, or the bike is only one-third of your race, this is the fit for you.
The rider and the bike have to work together, so adjusting the bike to fit you is our main goal.
Our safe, injury-prevention approach will help you increase power, comfort, and speed.
Triathlon fitting includes:
- All the elements of the enthusiast fit.
- Extra time allotted to achieve a personalized aero fit position.
- Follow-up visit within 60 days.
We also can consult on aero helmets.
Price: $175 | Time: 2+ hours
The cost for more bikes can range from $35 to $75 each, depending on complexity and time.
Dartfish Video Analysis
This patented technology developed by Dartfish enables us to measure critical angles at various points in the pedaling stroke and study various biomechanical anomalies.
This innovative tool can improve cycling posture and pedaling mechanics to produce more power, while enhancing comfort and safety.
Our Commitment to Cycling Performance
UPMC Sports Medicine Cycling Performance sponsors the following teams and races:
- Freddie Fu Cycling Team
- UPMC Cycling Performance Team
- Team PHenomenal Hope
- Bike Pittsburgh
- MS Society: Escape to the Lake
- Flat Tire Racing Team
- Leukemia and Lymphoma Society: Race to Any Place
- Montour Trail Map and Guide
- Team Citius (Junior development cycling team)
- Murrysville Cyclocross Race
Learn more about cycling performance (PDF).
Make An Appointment with the experts in the UPMC Sports Medicine Cycling Performance Program
To make an appointment or learn more about our Cycling Performance program, contact CyclingPerformance@UPMC.edu or 724-720-3047.