Get the most from your bike ride, whether it’s on the road or on the trail.
UPMC Sports Medicine’s Cycling Performance can help you work towards riding longer and faster while preventing or managing a cycling-related injury.
Backed by the expertise of physicians from the UPMC Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, we offer:
- A medically based Cycling Performance program that assesses equipment, cycling mechanics, and proper bike fit
- Some of the latest physiologic testing services available
- Effective management and treatment of cycling-related injuries
- Technical consultations and injury prevention techniques
Unbiased, clinical approach includes:
- Both physical and mechanical variables related to cycling injuries
- Musculoskeletal considerations involving injury management and prevention
- Cycling-specific musculoskeletal assessment
- Cycling-related injury assessment, treatment, and rehabilitation recommendations
- Compilation of documented bike-fit recommendations
- A focus on medical management — applicable for both prevention and performance
Physiologic Assessment Services
Performance testing with:
- Maximal oxygen uptake (VO2 max)
- Peak power
- Lactate threshold
- Body composition analyses
Rail-Trail Fit Program and Pricing
Our beginner-level fit — designed for the cyclist looking for an injury-free ride in proper biomechanical positioning — includes an assessment for you while on a stationary trainer, and your bicycle.
Bike fitting includes:
- Saddle height adjustment
- Fore-aft saddle position adjustment
- Bar height/fore-aft adjustment
- Lever positioning
Price: $75 | Time: 75 to 90 minutes
Enthusiast Fit Program and Pricing
If you're looking for better management of a cycling-related injury or an issue limiting your enjoyment of cycling, this is the package for you.
This level of fit is for any cyclist — whether it be the serious road rider, the weekend century rider, the club racer, the cyclocrss racer, the endurance mountain biker, or the XC mountain biker — wanting to achieve more power, control, comfort, and efficiency.
- History of your riding, including your riding style
- Future goals for your riding
- Current discomforts on the bike
- Medical history in regards to cycling
- Structural analysis/basic flexibility
- Foot structure, knee position, leg length
- Kneeling forefoot measurement
- Standing toe touch
- 1/3 knee bend
- Single leg squat assessment
- Dynamic positioning for:
- Saddle height, saddle fore-aft
- Bar and stem position
- Lever position
- Shoe, cleat, pedal interface
- Follow-up visit within 60 days
Price: $150 | Time: 1.5 to 2 hours
Triathlon/Time Trial Fit Program and Pricing
When seconds count, or the bike is only one-third of your race, this is the fit for you. The rider and the bike have to work together, so adjusting the bike to fit you is our main priority.
We specialize in helping you become more comfortable, powerful, and fast in a safe, injury-prevention approach.
Triathlon fitting includes:
- All the elements of the enthusiast fit
- Extra time allotted to achieve a personalized aero fit position
- Follow-up visit within 60 days
We also can consult on aero helmets.
Price: $175 | Time: 2 hours plus
The cost for additional bikes can range from $35 to $75 each, depending on complexity and time.
Our Commitment to Cycling
UPMC Sports Medicine Cycling Performance provides sponsorship for the following:
- Freddie Fu Cycling Team
- UPMC Cycling Performance Team
- Bike Pittsburgh
- MS Society — Escape to the Lake
- Leukemia and Lymphoma Society — Race to Any Place
- Montour Trail Map and Guide
- Team Citius (Junior development cycling team)
- Murrysville Cyclocross Race