Cycling Performance at UPMC Sports Medicine
Get the most from your bike ride, whether it’s on the road or on the trail.
UPMC Sports Medicine's Cycling Performance program can help you ride longer and faster while preventing or managing a biking-related injury.
Backed by experts from the UPMC Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, our medically based program offers:
- Assessments of bike equipment, mechanics, and proper bike fit.
- Management and treatment of cycling-related injuries.
- Technical consults and injury prevention methods.
Our personal, collaborative bike-fit process will help you find the ideal on-bike position based on your:
- Health history
- Fitness level
- Cycling goals
We offer an unbiased, clinical approach that includes:
- Both physical and mechanical variables related to cycling injuries.
- Cycling-specific musculoskeletal exam and injury management and prevention.
- Cycling-related injury assessment, treatment, and rehab suggestions.
- A document of bike-fit recommendations.
- A focus on medical management for both preventing injury and improving cycling performance.
- A prescription of possible equipment changes and sizes.
Enthusiast Fit Program and Pricing
If you're looking for better management of a cycling-related injury or an issue limiting your joy of riding enjoyment of cycling, this is the program for you.
This program is for any cyclist — whether you're the:
- Serious road rider
- Weekend century rider
- Club racer
- Cyclocross racer
- Endurance mountain biker
- XC mountain biker
We'll help you achieve more power, control, comfort, and efficiency.
What the enthusiast cycling fitting includes
- History of your riding, including your riding style.
- Future goals for your riding.
- Current discomforts on the bike.
- Medical history in regards to cycling.
|Structural analysis &
- Foot structure, knee position, leg length.
- Kneeling forefoot measurement.
- Standing toe touch.
- 1/3 knee bend.
- Single leg squat assessment.
- Saddle height, saddle fore-aft
- Bar and stem position
- Lever position
- Shoe, cleat, pedal interface
It also includes a follow-up visit within 60 days.
Price: $150 | Time: 2.5 to3 hours
Triathlon/Time Trial Fit Program and Pricing
When seconds count, or the bike is only one-third of your race, this is the fit for you.
The rider and the bike have to work together, so adjusting the bike to fit you is our main goal.
Our safe, injury-prevention approach will help you increase power, comfort, and speed.
Triathlon fitting includes:
- All the elements of the enthusiast fit.
- Extra time allotted to achieve a personalized aero fit position.
- Follow-up visit within 60 days.
We also can consult on aero helmets.
Price: $175 | Time: 2.5 to 3 hours
The cost for more bikes can range from $35 to $75 each, depending on complexity and time.
Our Commitment to Cycling
UPMC Sports Medicine Cycling Performance sponsors the following teams and races:
- Freddie Fu Cycling Team
- UPMC Cycling Performance Team
- Team PHenomenal Hope
- Bike Pittsburgh
- MS Society: Escape to the Lake
- Leukemia and Lymphoma Society: Race to Any Place
- Montour Trail Map and Guide
- Team Citius (Junior development cycling team)
- Murrysville Cyclocross Race
Make An Appointment at UPMC Sports Medicine Cycling Performance
To make an appointment or learn more about our Cycling Performance program, contact UPMC Sports Medicine at 1-855-93-SPORT (77678).