Environmental Initiatives at UPMC
UPMC is a leader in creating a new model for “green” health care through:
- A rounded program of environmentally responsible construction.
- Improvements in its own operations.
- Support for research and community programs to improve community health and quality of life through cleaner, more environmentally friendly practices.
Working with the U.S. Department of Energy, UPMC has designed a training program to help all hospitals better manage their energy use.
In addition, the Pediatric Environmental Medicine Center at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC studies the links between asthma and the environment.
Greening Initiatives at UPMC
Below are some of UPMC's ongoing greening achievements, with support from The Heinz Endowments and other partners.
Construction and Physical Plant Improvements
UPMC East hospital is designed to achieve Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification.
Other facilities that have already earned LEED distinction include:
Green projects at other facilities have included:
UPMC has made its food services increasingly green by:
- Using recombinant-bovine-growth-hormone-free milk
- Recycling cooking oil as biodiesel and a dog food ingredient
- Using recyclable/compostable plastic serve ware
- Holding internal farmer’s markets for employees
Use of digital x-ray equipment, in addition to offering patient care and electronic records benefits, also helps minimize use of silver-containing developing chemicals and the space necessary to store x-ray film.
The system has improved its sanitation and cleaning processes and materials to enable recycling and phase out use of polluting products.
- Recycles paper, plastics, and batteries
- Uses biodiesel fuels in its shuttles and delivery vehicles, and is looking into alternative fuel options
- Implemented a photocopy/printer initiative to reduce paper use and eliminate waste
- Provides enhanced employee training to educate staff on environmental sustainability and how they can help make the system greener
Outreach, Support, and Research
UPMC collaborates or co-sponsors activities with:
Through organizations like UPMC’s Medical Equipment Recycling Program, Global Links, Goodwill, eLoop, and Brother’s Brother, UPMC helps collect eyeglasses, prosthetics, hearing aids, durable medical equipment, hospital equipment and furnishings, medical office furnishings, and mobile phones for refurbishment and use by those who can’t afford them.
UPMC continues to support community greening initiatives through the Oakland Task Force and the University of Pittsburgh’s Blue, Gold, and Green Event.
UPMC sponsors greening research at:
- The University of Pittsburgh’s schools of Engineering and Business
- Duquesne University
- Carnegie Mellon University
- Thiel College
"Green" Health Care at UPMC Hospitals
Read more about environmental initiatives at UPMC hospitals:
Environmental Initiatives In The News