Physician Outreach Liaison Services
The Physician Liaison Program at UPMC connects physicians and their staffs with UPMC’s specialty services and advanced medical care.
In conjunction with UPMC's Physician Services Division, the Office of Referring Physician Relations provides outreach liaison services to assist UPMC physicians and regional physicians in the western Pennsylvania area.
Outreach liaisons are skilled professionals with extensive knowledge of UPMC's clinical facilities.
Helping Referring Physicians
- Communicate with referring physicians throughout western Pennsylvania to assess their needs and address their concerns.
- Work with contacts in specific clinical service areas to solve problems that referring physicians encounter.
- Help referring physicians get follow-up information about patients.
- Work with assigned contacts to promote new UPMC physicians and services.
Because of their familiarity with clinical services and their unique perspective on the needs of referring physicians, outreach liaisons can be invaluable to those who are developing regional marketing plans involving clinical services.
Outreach liaisons also coordinate continuing medical education (CME) programs within assigned regions.
To do this, liaisons may work with appropriate physicians and CME coordinators at a regional hospital to:
- Identify CME needs.
- Assist in scheduling a CME event.
- Arrange transportation for a physician who will speak at an event.
They may work with the University of Pittsburgh Center for Continuing Education in the Health Sciences to recruit UPMC speakers for CME programs.
» Meet our regional physician liaisons.