Welcome to the UPMC Hamot Emergency Medicine Residency!
The UPMC Hamot Emergency Medicine Residency is a three year, ACGME accredited program offering a well-rounded training experience at a fully accredited Level II trauma center.
UPMC Hamot is a 446-bed tertiary care hospital and is the only Pennsylvania-based accredited trauma program in the Erie region.
UPMC Hamot's Emergency Department treats a diverse patient population with moderate to high acuity, and sees a volume of more than 82,000 patients per year. The 25,000 square-foot, state-of-the-art Emergency Department has 35 private patient rooms, including three dedicated trauma resuscitation rooms, and onsite radiology and CT suites.
The Emergency Medicine Residency Program provides progressive learning experiences that develop the attitudes, skills, and knowledge required for physicians to efficiently provide quality emergency care. UPMC Hamot's Research Center supports resident research into basic science and clinical studies throughout the program.
UPMC Hamot's Emergency Medicine program prepares residents to:
- Work in any clinical emergency medicine environment, including academic or community practice, EMS, and administration.
- Meet certification requirements of the American Board of Emergency Medicine
- Manage medical/surgical problems presented in an emergency department setting, based on the knowledge of basic and clinical sciences.
- Utilize bedside ultrasound for real-time clinical decision making.
- Use critical thinking in making effective decisions for patient management.
- Rapidly and accurately evaluate, organize, and initiate treatment of the emergency patient.
- Make sound, ethical, and legal judgments as to the expected risks arising from therapy as well as the condition being treated.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the psychomotor skills required of a competent emergency physician.
Thank you for considering UPMC Hamot for your residency! If any of your questions are not answered by this website, please contact William D'Andrea, GME department manager, at
814-877-2594 or firstname.lastname@example.org.