Audiology Services at UPMC Hamot
The hearing health care professionals of the UPMC Hamot Audiology Department are dedicated to improving quality of life through better hearing and communication. Although we serve patients of all ages, we specialize in pediatric assessments, and are a Pennsylvania Department of Health approved site for newborn hearing screening follow-ups and infant diagnostic testing.
Following a comprehensive assessment, the audiologist will recommend appropriate treatment including hearing aids and other amplification devices, if indicated. A thorough explanation of all hearing test results are provided at the time of your appointment.
Services Offered at UPMC Hamot Audiology Department
- Assistive listening devices — such as FM systems
- Complete adult hearing assessments for decreased hearing, dizziness, and tinnitus
- Comprehensive pediatric hearing assessments for newborns through school-aged children
- Custom ear pieces for cell phone and other hands-free communication devices
- Ear protection for swimming and firearm use
- Evoked potentials - auditory, visual, and somatosensory neurological assessments
- Hearing aid provider for children on Pennsylvania Medical Assistance
- Hearing aid selection and fitting (competitive prices and a 30-day trial period) - Provider of Phonak® and Widex® Hearing Systems
- Monitoring of hearing for patients on ototoxic medications that may result in permanent hearing loss (i.e. chemotherapy)
- Real measures to ensure that hearing aids are providing the most appropriate gain and output (essential for fitting pediatric patients)
- Sleep deprived physiologic hearing assessments for difficult to test children - auditory brainstem response testing for hearing estimation