Who is a Candidate for Kidney Transplant?
Potential candidates for kidney transplant include patients who suffer from:
- End stage renal disease
- Complications from diabetes
- Other medical conditions as identified by their doctors
Benefits of Kidney Transplant
Having a kidney transplant can:
- Provide an alternative to kidney dialysis for management of
kidney disease, leading to fewer medical complications and a potentially
longer life span
- Improve quality of life
- Give a patient more energy and better overall health
- Lessen the dependence on medications
Risks of Kidney Transplant
Potential risks of kidney transplant include:
- Waitlist times
- Complications from surgery
- Side effects of transplant medications
» Learn more about kidney transplant eligibility at UPMC.
Your Glomerular Filtration Rate (GFR) is
a measurement used to determine kidney function and the stage of your
kidney disease. Use the GFR calculator to find out your score.