Pediatrics at UPMC Hamot
Regular visits with a pediatric health care team are an important part of your child’s preventive health plan. These wellness visits are your opportunity to make sure your child is meeting his or her best potential, physically and developmentally.
At UPMC Hamot, children — from infancy to young adulthood — can receive care:
Our pediatricians and pediatric providers:
- Provide screening tests and important immunizations against disease.
- Diagnose and treat a broad range of medical problems.
- Work with other pediatric health care specialists, when needed.
Pediatric Care at the Hospital
Your child’s pediatrician or family doctor may suggest that your child receive care from a pediatric hospitalist.
At UPMC Hamot, you can rest assured that your child will receive efficient, high-quality care while in the hospital. Our team of pediatric hospitalists and trauma certified nurses will work closely with your regular physician to ensure proper follow-up or long-term care.
What is a pediatric hospitalist?
- Works primarily or consistently in hospitals
- Cares for children with acute illnesses in the:
- Pediatric inpatient unit
- Newborn nursery
- Emergency department
- Neonatal intensive care unit
- Assists other pediatric physicians, including:
- Family practitioners
- Subspecialty physicians
UPMC Hamot's four pediatric hospitalists provide your child with coverage for:
- Pediatric admissions
- Observation stays
- Consultations, including in-house coverage during daytime hours and 24/7 on-call availability
UPMC Hamot pediatric hospitalists
Children's Express Care-Erie
offers walk-in service in the evening and on the weekends for minor illnesses and injuries including colds, flu, fevers, insect bites, rashes, simple fractures, and cuts. Hours are 5 to 9 p.m. Monday through Friday and noon to 8 p.m. on the weekends.