UPMC Horizon is comprised of two hospital facilities — Greenville Regional Hospital and Shenango Valley Medical Center — which merged in 1992 to form Horizon Health System. In 1998, through a merger with UPMC, Horizon Health System became UPMC Horizon.
Greenville Regional Hospital (then known simply as Greenville Hospital) was founded in 1906 shortly after five local physicians met to discuss the need for a community hospital in Greenville. On Aug. 1, 1906, the charter for the incorporation for Greenville Hospital was signed, and the 14-bed hospital opened the following January. Just a few months later, the hospital was planning its first expansion and continued to expand to its present size.
Shenango Valley Osteopathic Hospital (later Shenango Valley Medical Center) opened its doors in March 1960. The 50-bed hospital quickly grew, resulting in a second addition in 1966 and a third in 1969.