Minimally Invasive Breast Biopsy at the Magee-Womens Breast Cancer Program
If your mammogram or breast ultrasound shows a suspicious area in the breast tissue, you may need to have a minimally invasive breast biopsy.
What Can I Expect During a Minimally Invasive Breast Biopsy?
During the procedure, the radiologist:
- Makes one or more small incisions near the suspicious area of your breast
- Removes tissue samples
- Sends the breast biopsy tissue samples to a pathologist who examines it to determine if cancer is present
Benefits of Minimally Invasive Breast Biopsy
Minimally invasive breast biopsy may offer:
- Minimal scarring due to a small incision
- Reduced pain and risk of infection after the procedure
- Advanced treatment planning
- A shorter recovery time and resumption of daily activities
- Potentially lower hospital costs