Cardiothoracic Surgery Research and Clinical Trials
The UPMC Esophageal and Lung Surgery Institute conducts cutting-edge research and clinical trials to:
- Develop and assess the effectiveness of new treatments for heart, lung, esophageal, and foregut diseases and disorders.
- Enhance the management of cardiothoracic diseases.
- Improve patient outcomes.
Our close association with the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine creates the ideal environment for developing the most promising and advanced cardiothoracic procedures and medications.
Advancing Science Through Investigation
Our investigators are willing to push the limits of current medical knowledge to develop technical and therapeutic innovations for treating cardiothoracic diseases.
Our research incorporates the disciplines of:
- Molecular biology
- Tissue engineering
Current cardiothoracic research topics
Several current studies involve research into these and more:
- Robotic-assisted epicardial interventions
- Developing pediatric ventricular assist devices
- Biomarkers as detection and prognosis tools
- Outcomes of radiosurgical treatment in lung cancer
- Minimally invasive esophagectomy
Your Contributions Make a Difference
The surgeons and support staff at the Esophageal and Lung Surgery Institute appreciate the generous organizations and individuals who assist us in our mission to continually advance cardiothoracic therapies.
Your tax-deductible gift, regardless of size, helps us to:
- Research and develop new cardiothoracic therapies
- Fund new patient services
- Support programs that benefit needy patients
Learn about the many ways to give to the UPMC Esophageal and Lung Surgery Institute.