What is Yoga?
Using a combination of postures (asanas), breathing exercises, relaxation, and meditative techniques, yoga promotes overall health and well-being in a number of ways:
- Strength — Yoga helps to tone and strengthen every part of the body.
- Flexibility — A natural ease is established through correct stretching.
- Agility — Yoga improves coordination and balance.
- Posture — Balance, tone, and flexibility create an upright and effortless posture.
- Energy — Improved circulation and deep relaxation improve sense of well-being.
- Heart — Yoga helps with the regulation of blood pressure and improves cardiovascular health.
- Mental Health — Deep relaxation reduces stress and increases concentration.
People of all ages and physical abilities can practice yoga. If you have any questions or physical conditions that you believe might prevent you from doing yoga, check with your physician or the yoga instructor at the center before taking your first class.
Kripalu Yoga: 5:30-6:45pm
Postures are taught with emphasis on alignment and usage of yoga props (blocks, straps, bolsters, the wall) to facilitate a safe, thorough experience of the postures. Instruction follows the Kripalu system of "Breathe, Feel, Observe, and Allow." Posture modifications are gladly offered.
Emphasis on mindful awareness is maintained throughout the class and instruction begins and ends with brief meditation practice.
Teacher: Deanna Burkett, MA, MS, RYT, email@example.com
Cost: $12 per class; class size is small. Please email Deanna before attending.
Private Individual Instruction
Alicja W. Walczak, MS, CRS offers private, individual instruction by appointment only.
- The cost for one person, 1 hour class is $50, or purchase a package of four, 1 hour classes for $175.
- The cost for two persons, 1 hour class is $27 each, or a package of four, 1 hour classes for $95 each
- There are no refunds if one person misses a class
Call the Center for Integrative Medicine at 412-623-3023 with your name, e-mail address, and telephone number if you are interested in attending a YOGA class.