Home-Based Palliative and Supportive Care Program
Understand the Role of Your Nurse Practitioner at Home
What is the Nurse Practitioner at Home?
The Certified Registered Nurse Practitioner (CRNP) is an advanced practice nurse who will visit you at home at the request of your physician, home health nurse, or health insurance provider. The Nurse Practitioner will work along with you, your family, and health care team to restore or maintain your best level of health.
What is the Nurse Practitioner at Home responsible for?
Your Supportive Care Nurse Practitioner can provide a range of services and care for you including:
- Assessing, diagnosing, and treating medical conditions in collaboration with your physician
- Communicating with your physician regarding changes in your condition
- Communicating with you and your family about your care goals and planning
- Evaluating the effectiveness of your care plan and when needed, recommending changes that support your goals of care
- Initiating referrals and consultations with other licensed professional health care providers when appropriate
When might you need a visit from the Supportive Care Nurse Practitioner?
You may need a visit from the Supportive Care Nurse Practitioner when events such as the following occur:
- Your medical condition causes frequent emergency department visits or hospitalizations
- You have pain, nausea, shortness of breath, or other symptoms that are not improving
- When there is a change in your condition
- When you or your family want assistance with decision making about treatment options or advance directives
Is the Nurse Practitioner at Home covered by insurance?
Yes, depending upon the terms and conditions of your health care insurance. The Nurse Practitioner bills for services in the same way as other outpatient providers do. A copay may apply based on your insurance. If you have copay, this will be discussed with you before the Nurse Practitioner visits.
How can I contact my Nurse Practitioner at Home?
The Nurse Practitioner will leave a card with their contact information at the time of your visit(s).
(staff listings table, etc.)