Primary Care at UPMC
When you choose a UPMC primary care physician (PCP), you can establish a lasting relationship that can benefit you through a lifetime. Our doctors provide wellness services and treatment for medical conditions that range from common to complex.
Introducing the Diabetic Retinal Exam
A specially designed, state-of-the-art camera has been installed in select primary care offices* that allows primary care physicians (PCP) to perform a diabetic retinal exam (DRE) that can help identify potential eye and vision problems in patients who are living with diabetes.
If you have diabetes, your blood sugar level may cause changes in the blood vessels of your retina, leading them to bleed or leak fluid and could distort vision. These changes also may lead to diabetic retinopathy (DR), a leading cause of blindness in diabetic patients. However, early detection and appropriate follow-up with an ophthalmologist can help protect against vision loss.
Your PCP can refer you for a DRE and then perform the exam—right in the office. Having this specialized camera and trained staff in your PCP office will save time and the inconvenience of scheduling a separate appointment.
This painless exam takes only a few minutes and includes taking pictures of the back of your eyes. Your PCP and staff will review the images and send them to a UPMC specialist for further analysis. Your PCP may follow-up with you and if needed, refer you to an ophthalmologist.
It’s a good idea to discuss your insurance coverage with office staff prior to your DRE.
*UPMC PCP offices that now offer a DRE:
Announcing Our New Primary Care Facility
Our new UPMC Primary Care facility located in White Oak, Pennsylvania, provides residents of Allegheny and Westmoreland Counties with convenient access to family medicine and internal medicine, general x-ray and orthopaedic services. New patients are welcome.
The new office is located in Oak Park Mall at:
UPMC Primary Care
2100 Lincoln Way
White Oak, PA 15131
You can schedule an appointment with any of our well-established primary care practices:
For more information or to schedule an appointment for orthopaedic services, call 1-866-987-ORTHO (6784).
For more information or to schedule an appointment for general x-ray services, call 412-267-5969.
Both non-UPMC and UPMC patients are welcome to schedule an appointment.
UPMC Primary Care includes:
- Family Medicine – physicians who treat patients, from a young age to seniors. Family medicine doctors may have training in a number of medical disciplines.
- Internal Medicine – physicians who usually treat adult patients and diagnose and treat diseases in adults without surgery. Internal medicine doctors have subspecialties in specific areas or age groups.
Having a UPMC primary care physician can provide you with access to:
- Family medicine or internal medicine doctors
- A long-term relationship with your personal doctor
- Hundreds of convenient office locations
- UPMC's network of clinical experts and specialists, quality resources, and state-of-the-art facilities
- A doctor who gets to know you, your lifestyle, and family history
- Secure online health care records
- Screenings, vaccinations, and physical examinations
- Blood pressure and/or blood sugar checks, and/or cholesterol monirtoring