Concussion Testing and Treatment
Knowing that each concussion is unique, the team of specialists at the UPMC Sports Medicine Concussion Program works closely to assess, test, manage, treat, and rehabilitate the diverse facets of concussions.
Concussion Assessment and Management
Our concussion program neuropsychologists:
- Assess head injuries with thorough clinical interviews, exams, and tests.
- Conduct neurocognitive testing using ImPACT™ (Immediate Postconcussion Assessment and Cognitive Testing) and a wide range of other neuropsychological tests.
- Use all of this data to create a tailored concussion treatment and management plan.
Your neuropsychologist may also refer you for:
- Vestibular evaluation and therapy
- Physical and exertion training and rehabilitation
- Primary care sports medicine or physical medicine and rehab for medication management
- Behavioral neuro-optometry and vision therapy
- Neurosurgery, neuro-otology, or orthopaedic surgery
- Medication management
Concussion Treatment and Rehabilitation
Our concussion treatment team:
- May prescribe physical therapy or use behavioral management techniques to treat concussion symptoms.
- May refer you for a medication consult to help treat chronic symptoms. Not all cases require medication, but it may be useful in more complex cases.
- Will re-examine you often to promote successful rehabilitation.
The neurovestibular experts at the UPMC Sports Medicine Concussion Program:
- Test for and treat vestibular, balance, and eye movement problems that may occur with concussions.
- Work with UPMC physical therapists to begin vestibular therapy.
- Apply techniques that help retrain the brain to discern complex environments that include space, motion, and head/eye movements.
- Use training exercises that focus on visual motion sensitivities, ocular motor skills, and balance.
When appropriate — based on your symptoms — your doctor may clear you for certain controlled physical activities.
The exertion training therapists at the UPMC Sports Medicine Concussion Program aim to:
- Reintroduce the vestibular system to activity in a careful and precise way.
- Safely increase heart rate through:
- Cardiovascular exercise
- Strength training
- Agility drills
- Dynamic and functional movements
- Sport-specific training
- Adjust the prescribed routine according to your progress.
Contact UPMC's Sports Medicine Concussion Program
Call 412-432-3681 to learn more about concussion testing and treatment or schedule an appointment with one of our concussion experts.