Lung Transplant Program
If you're suffering with a severe lung disease, you can find hope at UPMC's Lung Transplant Program.
Our compassionate and skilled lung transplant team cares for people each day with life-threatening lung diseases.
We're one of the most recognized and experienced centers in the world for lung and combined heart-lung transplantation. This immense experience allows us to accept many high-risk patients that other transplant centers may decline.
The Lung Transplant Process: What to Expect
What happens after your doctor refers you to UPMC's Lung Transplant Program?
- Our lung transplant team will review your medical history to see if you might be a good lung transplant candidate.
- If we think you are, we'll contact you to schedule your lung transplant evaluation. You'll have various diagnostic tests and meet with a number of experts from the lung transplant team.
- Then, a multidisciplinary team will review your case and decide if a lung transplant is the best option for you. We'll inform you of our decision within one week after your evaluation.
Find answers to more lung transplant questions.
Why Choose UPMC's Lung Transplant Program?
- Since the program's inception in 1982, our surgeons have performed more than 1,900 lung and heart-lung transplants, exceeding many other transplant centers.
- We're one of only a few programs in the United States that has achieved this volume, while maintaining outcomes that are on par with national averages.
- Our talented team of lung and heart-lung transplant surgeons continues to gain vast clinical skill expertise in the field, giving hope to people across the country and around the world.
Meet some people who chose UPMC for a lung transplant.
Learn More About Lung Transplant and Organ Donation
The links below will open a new browser window.