Open Heart and Minimally Invasive Heart Surgery
Adults who need heart (cardiac) surgery have access to a full range of options at the UPMC Heart and Vascular Institute.
Our cardiac surgeons perform open heart and minimally invasive heart surgeries, including:
And, people with thoracic aortic diseases have immediate access to advanced treatments such as:
- Minimally invasive endovascular thoracic aortic repairs using stent grafts.
- Aortic root reconstructions — using complex valve repair techniques designed by our own surgeons at UPMC's Center for Thoracic Aortic Disease — that preserve the aortic valve.
About the UPMC Adult Cardiac Surgery Program
As a national center of excellence for heart surgery — and the largest cardiac surgery program in Pennsylvania — our surgeons and researchers have helped lead the way in developing new treatments and surgical techniques.
For example, our heart surgeons:
- Helped pioneer minimally invasive heart surgery techniques.
- Performed the first minimally invasive coronary bypass (MIDCAB) graft in the tristate (Pennsylvania, Ohio, West Virginia) region.
- Have expanded these minimally invasive approaches to include valve surgery and the use of robotics.
- Continue to perform advanced procedures and explore new approaches, including the development of techniques for durable valve repair on both mitral and aortic valves.
A rich history of excellence in cardiac surgery
National Quality Ranking
The Society of Thoracic Surgeons (STS) recently awarded two UPMC hospitals with top honors based on data compiled and publicly reported for the fiscal year 2014:
- UPMC Passavant received the highest ranking of three stars for coronary artery bypass graft surgery, placing it in the top 8.8 percent of hospitals nationally
- UPMC Shadyside received the highest ranking of three stars for aortic valve replacement procedures, placing it in the top 9.9 percent of hospitals nationally
Learn More About Heart Surgery