Adults who need heart (cardiac) surgery have access to a full range of options at the UPMC Heart and Vascular Institute.
Our cardiac surgeons perform open heart and minimally invasive heart surgeries, including:
And, people with thoracic aortic diseases have immediate access to advanced treatments such as:
- Minimally invasive endovascular thoracic aortic repairs using stent grafts.
- Aortic root reconstructions — using complex valve repair techniques designed by our own surgeons at UPMC's Center for Thoracic Aortic Disease — that preserve the aortic valve.
About the UPMC Adult Cardiac Surgery Program
As a national center of excellence for heart surgery — and the largest cardiac surgery program in Pennsylvania — our surgeons and researchers have helped lead the way in developing new treatments and surgical techniques.
For example, our heart surgeons:
- Helped pioneer minimally invasive heart surgery techniques.
- Performed the first minimally invasive coronary bypass (MIDCAB) graft in the tristate (Pennsylvania, Ohio, West Virginia) region.
- Have expanded these minimally invasive approaches to include valve surgery and the use of robotics.
- Continue to perform advanced procedures and explore new approaches, including the development of techniques for durable valve repair on both mitral and aortic valves.
A rich history of excellence in cardiac surgery
Learn More About Heart Surgery