Nonsurgical Weight Management
The UPMC Hamot Bariatric Surgery and Weight Management Center now offers a nonsurgical weight management option for patients who either do not qualify for or do not want to have bariatric surgery. The goal of the program is to help our patients maintain long-term weight loss through healthy lifestyle choices.
Led by a physician who is board-certified in obesity medicine, the program includes experts from multiple disciplines, including:
- Medicine – our physician will supervise your weight loss plan and prescribe medication to manage your weight loss and treat any weight-related medical conditions
- Nutrition – our nutritionist will guide you in identifying personal barriers and assist you with choosing healthier food options
- Psychological support – a licensed psychologist provides behavior counseling
You might be a candidate for the nonsurgical weight management program if:
- You have a body mass index (BMI) of 30 or higher
- You have a BMI between 27 and 30 with at least one obesity-related condition such as diabetes, sleep apnea, or high blood pressure
Medical weight loss is covered by most insurance. Please check with your insurance provider to determine what services are covered.