Bariatric Surgery at UPMC Hamot
The UPMC Hamot Bariatric Surgery and Weight Management Center in Erie, PA is dedicated to providing you with the services and support necessary to make your weight loss surgery a success.
Bariatric surgery, also known as weight loss surgery, is a surgical procedure that decreases the size of the stomach, allowing patients to eat smaller portions of food and still feel full, resulting in weight loss. Bariatric surgery is a treatment option for people living with morbid obesity - especially for those who have not experienced long-term weight loss success through other means.
- Serving the Erie community since 2003
- More operations for weight reduction than any other bariatric surgery center in Erie
- Accredited as a Comprehensive Center with Adolescent designation by the American College of Surgeons (ACS) Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP) in partnership with the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS).
- Services and support after the surgery include free monthly support group meetings, access to bariatric nutritionists and psychologists, and encouragement of the supportive staff.
Types of Bariatric Surgery Primarily Performed at UPMC Hamot
- Gastric bypass surgery - The stomach is divided into a small upper part and a large lower part.
- Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy - Approximately 75 percent of the stomach is removed, leaving a narrow gastric sleeve or tube that limits the amount of food that can be eaten at one time.