Stroke Services at UPMC Horizon
Stroke patients need immediate intervention. UPMC Horizon’s emergency departments, located at the Shenango Valley and Greenville campuses, have the capability to diagnose and treat patients suffering from strokes.
Telemedicine services provide an immediate connection to experts at the UPMC Stroke Institute, and, if a higher level of care is needed, patients may be transferred to a tertiary care facility, such as UPMC Hamot or UPMC Presbyterian.
- Acute stroke care with tissue plasminogen activator (tPA), a clot dissolving medication.
- Medical treatment of stroke patients, including anti-clotting medications, medications for lowering cholesterol, and management of blood pressure.
- Inpatient rehabilitation services including speech, occupational, and physical therapy.
- Evaluation and treatment of swallowing disorders, gait problems, aphasia, and weakness.
- Inpatient rehabilitation consultation by a physical medicine and rehabilitation specialist
The UPMC Stroke Telemedicine program links emergency department physicians at UPMC’s community hospitals to experts at the UPMC Stroke Institute via high quality video conferencing equipment. Physicians at the Stroke Institute are able to assess the patient, read test results, and advise local physicians on appropriate treatment.
Follow Up Care
While you may choose any facility for your follow up care, within the hospital, the UPMC Rehabilitation Institute at UPMC Horizon provides inpatient rehabilitation for stroke patients. UPMC Centers for Rehab Services, which has three locations in UPMC Horizon’s service area, offers physical and occupational therapy, among other services, in an outpatient setting.
Home health care services are also available through UPMC/Jefferson Regional Home Health, though you may choose any home health care service you like.
How to Spot a Stroke F.A.S.T.
If someone has a stroke, you need to act fast – as in F.A.S.T.
F – Face Drooping
A – Arm Weakness
S – Speech Difficulty
T – Time to Call 911
Learn more about strokes
Other Educational Resources
The American Heart Association
The American Cancer Society
Marlene Bednar, MD
Michael Matthews, MD
Mark Fennema, DO
Medical director, Emergency Department
Robert Brown, DO
William Trachtman, MD
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation