General and Bariatric Surgery
When it comes to surgery, Magee-Womens Hospital of UPMC’s team of experts provides a comprehensive program of services. Surgeons in our Minimally Invasive Bariatric and General Surgery Program have expertise in a wide range of abdominal surgical procedures, using the latest minimally invasive techniques.
Our Surgical Services
- Reflux disease: diseases of the esophagus, including gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), hiatal hernia, and paraesophageal hernia
- Gallbladder disease: gallstone removal, gallbladder removal, and other procedures for diseases of the biliary tract
- Hernia repair: diagnosis and repair of simple or complex abdominal wall and inguinal hernias
- Small bowel and colon diseases: treatment of benign and malignant diseases including polyps, tumors, diverticular disease, and cancer
- Abdominal problems: appendix removal and other intestinal procedures
- Obesity surgery: bariatric surgery options include the laparoscopic adjustable gastric band, gastric bypass, and other malabsorptive and revisional procedures
Our Surgical Team
Minimally Invasive Bariatric and General Surgery surgical staff include five full-time, board-certified, fellowship-trained surgeons who are leading authorities in the fields of laparoscopic surgery and minimally invasive bariatric surgery. This group has vast experience with thousands of general surgical procedures.
- Anita P. Courcoulas, MD, MPH, FACS,
Director, Minimally Invasive Bariatric and General Surgery
- Bestoun H. Ahmed, MD, FACS
- Giselle G. Hamad, MD, FACS
- Ramesh C. Ramanathan, MD, FRCS