Cardiovascular Services at UPMC Shadyside
UPMC Shadyside has a long tradition of excellence in
cardiology and cardiac surgery. Cardiology services took a foothold at Shadyside Hospital in the 1970s with the advent of
new technologies and talent. By the early 1990s, more coronary angioplasties would be performed at Shadyside Hospital than
at any other hospital in western Pennsylvania.
Today, UPMC Shadyside provides a full menu of standard and cutting-edge technologies, while remaining committed to offering patients the best care available. With a staff of more than 60 cardiologists, UPMC Shadyside strives to remain on the forefront of quality cardiology care.
Services provided range from non-invasive diagnostic techniques to advanced invasive procedures, surgery, and rehabilitation services.
- Exercise stress tests with and without nuclear imaging
- Echocardiograms, both routine and stress test
- Transesophageal echocardiograms
- Holter and event monitors
- Diagnostic cardiac catheterizations
- Angioplasty and stent procedures
- Intra-aortic balloon pump insertion
- Intravascular ultrasound
- Peripheral diagnostic and interventional procedures
- Acute myocardial infarction services with 24/7/365 emergency coverage
- Diagnostic electrophysiology studies
- Implantation of pacemakers
- Implantation of internal defibrillators
- Arrhythmia ablations, including atrial fibrillation ablations
- Pacemaker and defibrillator diagnostic services
- Tilt table testing
- Arrhythmia conversion
- Abdominal and thoracic aneurysm repair
- Aortic root replacement
- Atrial ablation
- Coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG)
- Off-pump coronary artery bypass graft (OPCABG)
- Peripheral vascular surgeries
- Pneumonectomies, lobectomies, and wedge resections
- Repair of co-arctation of the aorta
- Septal defect repair
- Valve repair and replacement
- Vascular shunts
- Ventricular aneurysm repair
Cardiac rehab services
Cardiac rehabilitation, or cardiac rehab, is an outpatient program for people recently diagnosed with heart disease or recovering from a heart procedure. It provides the knowledge, tools, and support you need to succeed in developing healthy lifestyles. This includes exercise, proper nutrition, smoking cessation, and controlling other risk factors that increase your risk of heart disease. Specially trained medical professionals will design a program to meet your individual needs.
For more information or to enroll at UPMC Shadyside's Cardiac Rehab Program, call 412-623-1684.
There are several active industry- and NIH-sponsored clinical trials under way at UPMC Shadyside, ranging from medical device testing, new treatment options and medication therapies, to evaluating carotid stent effectiveness in high-risk surgical patients.
With a thriving private practice cardiovascular program at UPMC Shadyside, the hospital is well positioned for a vast array of trial opportunities. For more information regarding active and enrolling trials at UPMC Shadyside, please e-mail UPMCShadysidecardiologyresearch@upmc.edu.
For more information regarding vascular research activities call 412-623-8443, or view a list of the DIvision of Vascular Surgery's ongoing research and clinical trials..
Community Cardiovascular Screenings
UPMC Shadyside will be sponsoring free cardiovascular screenings at various locations. Check back soon for new dates.