The Telepsychiatry Program at Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic
Our Telepsychiatry Program offers people in rural and underserved areas access to behavioral health services from afar.
The program offers remote psychiatric services through secure, high quality real-time audio and video-conferencing technology.
Services we provide through telepsychiatry include:
- Psychiatric consults and outreach services to rural, underserved areas.
- Outpatient psychiatric care at Pennsylvania community behavioral health centers.
- Outpatient psychiatric care for people in the Pittsburgh area.
- Inpatient consults and treatment at community hospitals.
- Educational resources for behavioral health professionals.
Telepsychiatry also provides support for the full range of mental health conditions.
Benefits of Telepsychiatry
Research shows that telepsychiatry provides the same high quality care as face-to-face care for most people. Some patients prefer to connect with their psychiatrist through telehealth visits rather than in-person visits because it reduces anxiety.
More benefits for patients:
- Mental health treatment closer to home.
- Access to world-class psychiatrists and care.
- Less time and money spent traveling to appointments.
Benefits for health care providers:
- Access to world-class psychiatrists.
- Reduced health care costs.
- Increased clinical quality and efficiency.
Innovation in Psychiatry
For a growing number of people in need, telepsychiatry is the only way to access behavioral health services. That's why, in 2007, Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic of UPMC launched its Telepsychiatry Program.
The purpose of the program is to address the shortage of mental health providers in rural locations throughout Pennsylvania.
In 2016, we received the Innovation Award from the Hospital & Healthsystem Association of Pennsylvania for our Telepsychiatry Program.
Today, the program serves the needs of 12 rural communities across PA. with more than 12,000 encounters a year.
Learn more about UPMC Telepsychiatry Services: