The Freddie Fu Sports Medicine Scholarship Program
***Now accepting 2016 applications.***
Freddie H. Fu, MD, an orthopaedic surgeon at UPMC Sports Medicine, created this scholarship program to increase student interest in sports medicine careers.
We award one scholarship of two thousand dollars ($2,000) to a selected high school student in return for a six-week summer internship (40 hours per week on an agreed upon starting date) at the UPMC Rooney Sports Complex.
The scholarship winner will have the chance to observe:
- Patient exams, treatment, and rehab by physical therapists and athletic trainers.
- Clients of the Sports Performance program.
- Orthopaedic surgery with Dr. Fu.
He or she will also have responsibilities much like those of a Physical Therapy Aide including:
- Greeting patients.
- Prepping treatment areas.
- Preparing hot and cold packs.
Who Can Apply for the Sports Medicine Scholarship?
To qualify for the scholarship, applicants must be:
- Residents of western Pennsylvania.
- Entering their senior year of high school in September.
He or she must also have a strong interest in a sports medicine career.
We award one scholarship based on the following:
- A commitment to a career in sports medicine.
- Academic excellence.
- Leadership traits.
- Community involvement.
- Financial need.
Apply for the Freddie Fu Sports Medicine Scholarship
To apply for the Freddie Fu Sports Medicine Scholarship program, you must:
Mail the above materials to:
Kathleen Nachazel, LAT, ATC
UPMC Rooney Sports Complex
3200 South Water Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15203