The Freddie Fu Sports Medicine Scholarship Program
***Now accepting 2017 applications.***
Freddie H. Fu, MD, an orthopaedic surgeon at UPMC Sports Medicine, created this scholarship program to increase student interest in sports medicine careers.
We award one scholarship of two thousand dollars ($2,000). In return the recipient interns for six weeks (30-40 hours per week on an agreed upon starting date) during the summer at UPMC Rooney Sports Complex and UPMC Lemieux Sports Complex. The selected intern will have the opportunity to observe patient evaluation, treatment and rehabilitation by physical therapists and athletic trainers and will have responsibilities comparable to those of a Physical Therapy Aide. There will also be opportunities to observe clients in the Sports Performance Department and observe patient care with various physicians and surgery with Dr. Fu.
The scholarship winner will have the chance to observe:
- Patient exams, treatment, and rehab by physicians, neuropsychologists, physical therapists and athletic trainers.
- Clients of the Sports Performance program.
- Orthopaedic surgery with Dr. Fu.
He or she will also have responsibilities much like those of a Physical Therapy Aide including:
- Greeting patients
- Prepping treatment areas
- Preparing hot and cold packs
Who Can Apply for the Sports Medicine Scholarship?
To qualify for the scholarship, applicants must be:
- Residents of western Pennsylvania
- Entering their senior year of high school in September 2017
He or she must also have a strong interest in a sports medicine career.
We award one scholarship based on the following:
- A commitment to a career in sports medicine
- Academic excellence
- Leadership traits
- Community involvement
Apply for the Freddie Fu Sports Medicine Scholarship
To apply for the Freddie Fu Sports Medicine Scholarship program, you must:
- Complete the application online (PDF). Then print and sign the application.
- Obtain two letters of recommendation. Letters should include details on academic strengths, leadership skills, and community service.
- Request your school Guidance Counselor — or appropriate school representative — to complete and sign.
Mail the above materials to:
Jennifer Wuyscik, MS, LAT, ATC
UPMC Rooney Sports Complex
3200 South Water Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15203