UPMC is Advancing Care Everywhere in North Central Pa.
UPMC is a globally integrated health network inventing new models of patient-centered, cost-effective, accountable care. With a network of 92,000 physicians, nurses, professionals, and clinical staff serving 40 hospitals throughout Pennsylvania, New York, and Maryland, UPMC is bringing Life Changing Medicine directly to the communities where our patients live, including in north central Pennsylvania.
As a renowned academic medical center, UPMC is recognized for groundbreaking discoveries in health care. This includes organ transplant surgeries, breast imaging technology, and immunology therapies.
UPMC's Medical Milestones
- The world's first polio vaccine was developed at the University of Pittsburgh.
- World's first heart-liver transplant.
- North America's first Gamma Knife® surgery in the treatment of cancer.
- World's first heart-liver-kidney transplant.
- World's first cell transplant to reverse stroke damage.
- Developed the concussion testing protocols used by the NFL and the NHL.
- Pioneered robotic pancreatic cancer surgeries.
Physicians and health care providers working at UPMC in North Central Pa. hospitals can collaborate with colleagues throughout the UPMC network. This offers patients direct access to world-class care no matter where they live.