Giving Back to the Places We Serve
UPMC, a $26 billion world-renowned health care provider and insurer based in Pittsburgh, Pa., is a nonprofit that:
- Invents new models of accountable, cost-effective, patient-centered care.
- Melds a firm community mission with progressive business models. We're the first nonprofit health system to fully adopt Sarbanes-Oxley.
- Gives back to our neighbors. Each year, UPMC gives back more than $1 billion to our communities. This amounts to more than 15 percent of net patient revenue.
Changing Lives and the Future of Health Care
As the largest nongovernment employer in Pennsylvania, UPMC has:
- 95,000 staff members.
- 40 academic, community, and specialty hospitals.
- 800 doctors' offices and outpatient sites.
- More than 5,000 employed doctors.
- An array of rehab, retirement, and long-term care options.
UPMC has created a genuinely integrated health delivery system, with:
- Renowned centers of excellence in transplantation, cancer, neurosurgery, psychiatry, rehabilitation, geriatrics, and women’s health.
- Top-ranked hospitals and service lines. U.S. News consistently ranks UPMC Presbyterian Shadyside among the nation’s best hospitals in many specialties and ranks UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh on its Honor Roll of Best Children’s Hospitals.
- Our close work with the University of Pittsburgh Schools of the Health Sciences on breakthrough research and world-renowned health programs. The school is among the top 10 in the U.S. to receive research funding from the National Institutes of Health.
Offering High-Quality Care at a Lower Price
UPMC’s Insurance Services, the largest health insurer in western Pa.:
- Has grown to nearly 4.5 million members.
- Is leading the way with innovative health plans for nearly all segments of society that offer better quality and lower costs.
- Provides health plans to employers, single members, and those who qualify for Medicare, Medicaid, and CHIP.
Other UPMC Insurance Services offerings include:
- Absence management.
- Life Solutions health management.
- Health, wellness, and workplace productivity programs.
- Worker’s comp.
- On-site health care.
UPMC Insurance Services also runs an HR software and services company to support administrators, consultants, and carriers on a single platform.
Sharing Our Expert Care and Talent Around the World
UPMC's International Division has launched dozens of ventures abroad such as:
- Hands-on health care management and advisory services to reshape the economics and practice of health care abroad.
- Design and construction oversight of new hospitals or cancer centers.
- Best-in-class treatment programs and advanced technology across a number of specialties to provide high-quality health care close to home.
Our global programs span four continents, with focused efforts in:
Merging the Best of Science and Technology
A known innovator in health IT, UPMC:
Solving health care's biggest problems
UPMC Enterprises is the innovation, commercialization, and venture capital arm of UPMC, and invests in developing solutions that benefit the entire health care industry. Focus areas include:
- Translational Sciences: Investing in and supporting the development and commercialization of cutting-edge diagnostics and therapeutics.
- Digital Solutions: Providing strategic, technical, and financial insights to build innovative products and launch novel technologies.
A $26 billion health care provider and insurer, Pittsburgh-based UPMC is inventing new models of patient-centered, cost-effective, accountable care. The largest nongovernmental employer in Pennsylvania, UPMC integrates 95,000 employees, 40 hospitals, 800 doctors’ offices and outpatient sites, and a 4.5 million-member Insurance Services Division, the largest medical insurer in western Pennsylvania. In the most recent fiscal year, UPMC contributed $1.5 billion in benefits to its communities, including more care to the region’s most vulnerable citizens than any other health care institution, and paid more than $900 million in federal, state and local taxes. Working in close collaboration with the University of Pittsburgh Schools of the Health Sciences, UPMC shares its clinical, managerial and technological skills worldwide through its innovation and commercialization arm, UPMC Enterprises, and through UPMC International. U.S. News consistently ranks UPMC Presbyterian Shadyside among the nation’s best hospitals in many specialties and ranks UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh on its Honor Roll of Best Children’s Hospitals. For more information, go to UPMC.com.