Giving Back to the Places We Serve
UPMC, a $21 billion world-renowned health care provider and insurer based in Pittsburgh, Pa., is a nonprofit that:
- Invents new models of accountable, cost-effective, patient-centered care.
- Melds a firm community mission with progressive business models. We're the first nonprofit health system to fully adopt Sarbanes-Oxley.
- Gives back to our neighbors. Each year, UPMC gives back more than $1 billion to our communities. This amounts to more than 15 percent of net patient revenue.
Changing Lives and the Future of Health Care
As the largest nongovernment employer in Pennsylvania, UPMC has:
- More than 90,000 staff members.
- 40 academic, community, and specialty hospitals.
- 700 doctors' offices and outpatient sites.
- 4,900 employed doctors.
- An array of rehab, retirement, and long-term care options.
UPMC has created a genuinely integrated health delivery system, with:
- Renowned centers of excellence in transplantation, cancer, neurosurgery, psychiatry, rehabilitation, geriatrics and women’s health.
- Top-ranked hospitals and service lines. U.S. News & World Report consistently ranks UPMC Presbyterian Shadyside among the nation’s best hospitals in many specialties and ranks UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh on its Honor Roll of America’s Best Children’s Hospitals.
- Our close work with the University of Pittsburgh Schools of the Health Sciences on breakthrough research and world-renowned health programs. The school is among the top 10 in the U.S. to receive research funding from the National Institutes of Health.
Offering High-Quality Care at a Lower Price
UPMC’s Insurance Services Division (ISD), the largest health insurer in western Pa.:
- Has grown to 3.9 million members.
- Is leading the way with innovative health plans for nearly all segments of society that offer better quality and lower costs.
- Provides health plans to employers, single members, and those who qualify for Medicare, Medicaid, and CHIP.
Other ISD services include:
- Absence management.
- Life Solutions health management.
- Health, wellness, and workplace productivity programs.
- Worker’s comp.
- On-site health care.
ISD also runs an HR software and services company to support administrators, consultants, and carriers on a single platform.
Sharing Our Expert Care and Talent Around the World
UPMC's International Division has launched dozens of ventures abroad such as:
- Hands-on health care management and advisory services to reshape the economics and practice of health care abroad.
- Design and construction oversight of new hospitals or cancer centers.
- Best-in-class treatment programs and advanced technology across a number of specialties to provide high-quality health care close to home.
Our global programs span four continents, with focused efforts in:
Merging the Best of Science and Technology
A known innovator in health IT, UPMC:
Solving health care's biggest problems
As the commercial arm of UPMC, UPMC Enterprises is changing America’s health care system through:
- Improving the quality and lowering the cost of health care through data-focused digital solutions.
- Taking full advantage of UPMC's vast clinical, technical, and financial resources to solve the most complex problems facing health care.
- Turning ideas into thriving companies that help the health care industry and impact the lives of patients in meaningful, lasting ways.
A $21 billion health care provider and insurer, Pittsburgh-based UPMC is inventing new models of patient-centered, cost-effective, accountable care. The largest nongovernmental employer in Pennsylvania, UPMC integrates more than 90,000 employees, 40 hospitals, 700 doctors’ offices and outpatient sites, and a 3.9 million-member Insurance Services Division, the largest medical insurer in western Pennsylvania. In the most recent fiscal year, UPMC contributed $1.4 billion in benefits to its communities, including more care to the region’s most vulnerable citizens than any other health care institution, and paid more than $800 million in federal, state and local taxes. Working in close collaboration with the University of Pittsburgh Schools of the Health Sciences, UPMC shares its clinical, managerial and technological skills worldwide through its innovation and commercialization arm, UPMC Enterprises, and through UPMC International. U.S. News & World Report consistently ranks UPMC Presbyterian Shadyside among the nation’s best hospitals in many specialties and ranks UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh on its Honor Roll of America’s Best Children’s Hospitals. For more information, go to UPMC.com.