UPMC Facts & Stats
UPMC, a $19 billion world-renowned health care provider and insurer based in Pittsburgh, PA, is inventing new models of accountable, cost-effective, patient-centered care.
- UPMC is a nonprofit that melds an unwavering community mission with entrepreneurial business models. UPMC is the first nonprofit health system to fully adopt Sarbanes-Oxley.
- UPMC is the largest non-governmental employer in Pennsylvania, with 87,000 employees.
- A recognized innovator in information technology, UPMC was an early adopter of electronic health records and the interoperability solutions that tie them together. Its clinical and technological capabilities have attracted such technology partners as Microsoft and GE Healthcare.
UPMC operates 40 academic, community, and specialty hospitals, 700 doctors' offices and outpatient sites, employs 4,800 physicians, and offers an array of rehabilitation, retirement, and long-term care facilities.
- UPMC has created a genuinely integrated health delivery system. With renowned centers of excellence in transplantation, cancer, neurosurgery, psychiatry, rehabilitation, geriatrics, and women’s health, UPMC Presbyterian Shadyside is consistently ranked among the nation's best hospitals by U.S. News & World Report. The system is ranked #1 in Pittsburgh and #2 in Pennsylvania.
- The virtually paperless UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh was the nation’s first pediatric hospital to achieve HIMSS Stage 7, the highest level of electronic health record implementation. Overall, more than a dozen of UPMC’s hospitals are at the highest levels of EHR adoption, as are its outpatient locations, enhancing the quality and safety of patient care.
UPMC’s Insurance Services Division (ISD), the largest medical insurer in western Pennsylvania, has grown to 3.5 million members and is leading the way with innovative health plans for virtually all segments of society that deliver better quality and lower costs.
- ISD provides health plans to employers for their employees and dependents, to individual members, as well as to those eligible for Medicare, Medicaid, and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) throughout the Commonwealth.
- ISD offers absence management services, Life Solutions health management, wellness and employee assistance programs, worker’s compensation, and on-site health services, as well as some of the most comprehensive health improvement, wellness, and workplace productivity programs anywhere in the United States. The ISD also operates an HR software and services company providing health and productivity support to benefit administrators, consultants, and carriers on a single platform.
Through its International Division, UPMC has launched dozens of international ventures.
- UPMC offers hands-on health care management and advisory services to reshape the economics and practice of health care globally and to provide high-quality care to patients close to home. UPMC works with health care, government and other partners to meet their needs, from managing the design and construction of a new hospital or cancer center to developing best-in-class clinical programs through the use of advanced technology. Working across a variety of clinical specialties, including oncology, transplantation, emergency medicine, pediatrics, family medicine, and neurosurgery, UPMC’s international programs span four continents, with focused efforts in Italy, Ireland, Kazakhstan and China.
As the commercialization arm of UPMC, UPMC Enterprises is changing America’s health care system through innovations that impact the lives of patients in meaningful, lasting ways.
- UPMC Enterprises believes that the smart integration of technology within the health care industry is an opportunity to both improve the quality and lower the cost of health care.
- By investing in exceptional health care innovations, UPMC Enterprises takes full advantage of the vast clinical, technical, and financial resources of UPMC in order to solve the most complex problems facing our industry.
- Partnering with highly qualified inventors, scientists, and entrepreneurs, UPMC Enterprises helps turn innovative ideas into growing, thriving companies that benefit the health care industry and patients alike.
UPMC is committed to giving back and reinvesting in the community.
- In the fiscal year 2016, UPMC’s community contributions were $912 million and represented more than 15 percent of net patient revenue.
- UPMC made its final payment on its $100 million pledge to the Pittsburgh Promise college scholarship program, fulfilling a one-of-a-kind commitment to developing the region's youth.
UPMC is closely affiliated with the University of Pittsburgh, which has ranked among the top 10 recipients of National Institutes of Health research funding since 1998.