Run With Us
Ready to run with us in person this marathon weekend? We can’t wait to see you at the marathon, half marathon, or marathon relay on May 1st – or at the UPMC Health Plan / UPMC Sports Medicine Pittsburgh 5K Run, kid’s marathon, toddler trot, or pet walk on April 30th!
We're long-standing official partners of the Pittsburgh Marathon, with the expertise to help you train, prevent injuries, treat common running conditions, and stay fit year-round.
Whether you're interested in our running services or tips to succeed on race day, you've come to the right place. We wish you the best of luck!
Tips for Mental Toughness and Motivation
- Picture yourself in the event during training runs.
- Imagine what you want to look like as you run. Consider your posture, body language, and smile.
- Picture yourself successfully battling pain and exhaustion.
- Envision yourself crossing the finish line.
- Use landmarks to trigger a mental reaction.
- Break the race down and choose your focus and attitude for each stretch.
- Have a focus plan for pain and exhaustion.
- Imagine dealing with obstacles such as a crowded starting line, an untied shoe lace, or large groups of people along the course.
- Simplify the race (left, right, left, right…).
- Be present. Don’t worry about how much you still have left.
- Listen to music or count.
- Break through the wall, mentally.
- Imagine the sunshine pulling away the pain.
- Picture scenes from motivational movies.
- Be your own biggest fan. Cheer yourself on!
- Don’t say anything to yourself you wouldn’t want someone else to say.
- Change negatives into positives (exhaustion = working hard).
- Preparation and trust are the keys to confidence.
- Act the way you want to feel to create those feelings of confidence.
- Focus on what you can control.
Runners Who Trusted Us With Their Care
New Offerings in Sports Performance Training
Ron DeAngelo, MEd, LAT, FAFS, director of sports performance at UPMC Sports Medicine has worked in sports performance since it first gained popularity in the 1990s, and he’s continually incorporated the latest practices in the industry to optimize sports performance ever since. Our program strives to enhance human movement and correct imbalances in sports and in life, and we have offerings specifically geared toward runners.
1. Breath Control
Ron is an Advanced instructor through Oxygen Advantage®, offering:
- High altitude training – helping to delay fatigue, improve respiratory strength, and lower running times.
- Functional breathing training – incorporating nose breathing while running to reduce breathlessness, improve posture, and help prevent exercise-induced asthma.*
2. Soft Tissue Hygiene
Soft tissue hygiene training can help athletes looking to meet or exceed their pre-injury performance goals and everyday people wanting to improve their strength and range of motion. Sessions through UPMC Sports Performance can help you:
- Release tension in the neck and shoulders.
- Relieve pain or tightness in the back with breathing techniques.
- Expand and preserve hip motion.
- Stretch the wrists to help prevent conditions like carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Point and flex the feet to loosen and relax the ankles.
UPMC Sports Medicine can help runners of all ages and experience levels recover from injury and improve performance. To learn more or schedule an appointment with an expert, please call 1-855-937-7678 or complete our contact form.
Running Assessment: For Runners at All Levels
Whether you are a casual neighborhood runner or an experienced marathon runner, our personalized running assessments can help you understand how to run efficiently, avoid injury, and train successfully for better overall performance and form. Learn more about this program.
General Running Assessment
Running Assessment for Beginning Runners
Running Assessment for Advanced Runners
Access to Specialized Services
- Diagnostic Running Evaluation
- Running Gait Analysis
- Running Musculoskeletal Screening
- Functional Movement Assessment
- Soft Tissue Hygiene Training
- Functional Breathing Training
- High Altitude Training
- Nutrition Assessment
- Customized Nutritional Programming
- Orthotics Fabrication
Sports Medicine Services
- ACL Program
- Athletic Training
- Concussion Services
- Imaging Services
- Performance Services
- Physician Services
- Physical Therapy
- Sports Nutrition
- Young Athlete Program
UPMC Sports Medicine Locations
UPMC Lemieux Sports Complex
8000 Cranberry Springs Drive
Cranberry Township, PA 16066
UPMC Rooney Sports Complex
3200 S. Water Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15203
100 Peach Street
Erie, PA 16507
On race day, minutes matter. Minutes also matter in emergency situations.
UPMC launched Minutes Matter to provide community members with access to basic emergency information and education about life-saving interventions.
UPMC Health Plan
Here's the Plan
Check out UPMC Health Plan's MyHealth Matters blog for the latest ideas on how to eat well, get fit, be healthy, and live happily.