When you're nearing or going through menopause, questions and concerns are normal. A trusted health care team can make the path in front of you easier to navigate.
The Women's Midlife Health Center at UPMC Hamot offers cares for women in perimenopause and menopause in the Erie region.
When Does Menopause Start?
The time leading up to menopause (perimenopause) often starts in your mid to late 40s. The average age of menopause is 52, but it can happen before or after that.
Our doctors are experts in helping to manage menopause symptoms and address the unique health care needs of women over 35.
We provide well-woman care for healthy midlife women with symptoms of menopause. We also offer complete specialized care for women with more complex health needs.
Symptoms and Conditions We Treat in Midlife Women
In midlife, hormone changes leading up to menopause may cause symptoms that can impact your quality of life.
Our experts can provide health, lifestyle, and surgical treatments to help you manage:
- Hormone changes during natural perimenopause and menopause.
- Early menopause. Early menopause, also known as premature ovarian failure, is when ovaries stop working in women under 40.
- Surgical menopause. Having surgery to take out your ovaries causes you to go through menopause.
- Irregular or heavy bleeding during perimenopause.
- Bleeding after menopause.
- Vaginal dryness or irritation.
- Pain with sex.
- Decreased sexual desire.
- Insomnia or poor sleep.
Our Women's Midlife Health Services
Doctors at the Women's Midlife Health Center provide different types of care based on your needs.
- You can choose one doctor as your primary gynecologist and see them on an ongoing basis.
- We also work closely with other doctors and experts to refer you for care you may need.
Women's health consults
- Our doctors work with your PCP or specialist to give guidance on certain health concerns.
- You can also get tailored information and treatment for menopause and midlife health issues.
The Midlife Health Center works closely with doctors who refer people and specialists who treat:
- Bladder function problems.
- Digestive issues.
- Endocrine diseases, such as thyroid disease, osteoporosis, and diabetes.
- Heart disease.
- Sleep issues.
- New onset or increase in mood changes such as anxiety or depression.
Why Choose the UPMC Magee-Womens Midlife Health Center?
The Women's Midlife Health Center at UPMC Hamot provides world-class care to women close to home.
Our doctors have training in all aspects of women's midlife health and the latest treatment guidelines.
Our midlife health experts also:
- Are active in research to find cutting-edge treatments for all women's health issues.
- Have access to the latest imaging and minimally invasive robotic surgery technology.
- Work closely with teams at UPMC Magee-Womens Hospital in Pittsburgh and can arrange a higher level of care if needed. We'll handle all aspects of your care — from transport to treatment to follow-up at home.
UPMC Magee-Womens Hospital is a Department of Health and Human Services National Center of Excellence for Women's Health. At UPMC Hamot, you have close, easy access to some of the top doctors in the U.S.
Our goal is to provide complete, personalized care to keep you healthy and living your best life.
Learn more about the Midlife Health Center (MLHC) at UPMC Magee-Womens Hospital.
Make an Appointment at the Women's Midlife Health Center at UPMC Hamot
To make an appointment, call 1-814-877-8950.
5050 W. Ridge Road, 3rd Floor
Erie, PA 16506