Skip to Content
Also part of the UPMC family:

History of UPMC McKeesport

Founded in 1894, UPMC McKeesport is a nonprofit acute care community hospital that serves residents of McKeesport and the surrounding region. In addition to an Intensive Care Unit and Cardiac Care Unit, the hospital offers ongoing rehabilitation and educational programs for patients in the areas of cardiac, neurologic, and orthopaedic care and other specialties.

McKeesport Hospital’s merger with UPMC in 1998 provided the community with access to UPMC’s state-of-the-art diagnostic and interventional capabilities and extensive roster of specialists. UPMC’s dedication to the region is visible through the hospital’s wide range of services as well as the community-focused programs sponsored by the McKeesport Hospital Foundation.

UPMC McKeesport is located in the valley of the historic Monongahela River — the Mon Valley, now home to a large number of elderly residents. In serving this population, UPMC McKeesport became the first hospital in western Pennsylvania to earn the Nurses Improving Care for Healthsystem Elders (NICHE) designation. The recognition demonstrates the specialized training of hospital staff in caring for and treating older adults. UPMC McKeesport is also a teaching hospital, with residency programs in both family practice and internal medicine.