Important: Significant travel delays in Oakland. We advise allowing an additional 45 minutes for traveling to an appointment in the area.
UPMC Montefiore was founded as Montefiore Hospital in 1908, thanks to the efforts of the Ladies Hospital Aid Society (LHAS). The LHAS recognized that Pittsburgh needed a hospital where Jewish physicians would be welcome to practice, where Jewish patients could be cared for with dignity and understanding, and where the achievements of Jewish health care could be extended to everyone. From its inception, Montefiore welcomed patients of all faiths and races.
Among the milestones in the history of Montefiore are the construction of the hospital at its present site in 1929 – again with generous support from the LHAS; the second clinical allergy laboratory in the world, in the 1930s; and the first school for medical technologists in western Pennsylvania, founded in 1938. In the 1940s, Montefiore became one of the first hospitals to use “wonder drugs” like penicillin and streptomycin, and its electroencephalograph department was the first in western Pennsylvania when it opened in the 1950s. In 1957, Montefiore Hospital affiliated with the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and became an important site for training new physicians. In 1990, Montefiore joined UPMC.
Today, UPMC Montefiore is part of UPMC Presbyterian.
The new enclosed walkway from Falk Clinic to UPMC Presbyterian is now open.
Every three years, UPMC hospitals conduct a Community Health Needs Assessment (CHNA). To access the assessments and to learn how the hospitals are addressing important community health needs, click here.