The UPMC Heart and Vascular Institute
, in partnership with the American Heart Association
(AHA), will host a day of screenings and events this February in recognition of Heart Month and National Wear Red Day. The day is intended to raise awareness for the fight against cardiovascular disease in women and promote efforts to maintain good cardiovascular health through proper education and lifestyle changes. Registration is not required. Parking is free at all hospital locations.
WHY: According to the AHA, more than 600,000 Americans die from cardiovascular disease annually. There are various types of heart disease including heart attacks, strokes, heart failure, arrhythmia and heart valve problems. The main causes and risk factors for heart disease include atherosclerosis — or plaque build-up — the improper management of chronic conditions, poor lifestyle habits and heart-valve related birth defects. Nearly half of the American population is affected by at least one of these risk factors or conditions.
EVENT SCHEDULE for Friday, Feb. 1
Bayfront Sheraton Hotel, 55 W Bay Rd. Dr., Erie, Pa., 16507.
• This will be the 13th annual Wear Red Heart and Health Awareness Expo for UPMC Hamot. Experts will host mini lectures on heart health and sample heart healthy treats. Free blood pressure screenings will be available in addition to shopping, and a raffle.
UPMC McKeesport, History Hallway, First Floor, Shaw Building, 1500 Fifth Ave., McKeesport, Pa., 15132.
• The event will feature screenings for blood pressure and bone density and will include heart health information and heart-healthy recipes. In addition, there will be a free gift basket raffle and photobooth.
UPMC St. Margaret, Entrance B Lobby, 815 Freeport Rd., Pittsburgh, 15215.
• The event will feature screenings for blood pressure, bone density and glucose**, heart health information, risk factor guidelines and heart-healthy recipes.
UPMC East, First Floor Lobby, 2775 Mosside Blvd., Monroeville, Pa., 15146.
• The event will feature blood pressure, cholesterol and glucose** screenings, information on heart health and risk factor guidelines.
U.S. Steel Tower, Concourse level by the YMCA, 600 Grant St., Pittsburgh, 15219.
• The event will feature screenings for blood pressure and cholesterol as well as an “Ask the Expert” session. Representatives from the American Heart Association also will be onsite.
UPMC Passavant, Assembly Hall, 9100 Babcock Blvd., Pittsburgh, 15237.
• Cardiologist, Venmathi Indramohan, M.D., will present a discussion, “Women and Heart Disease.”
• The event also will feature blood pressure screenings, nutritious snacks, information on heart health and heart-healthy recipes.
**For cholesterol and glucose screenings: 9-hour fast recommended.
Note to Media:
To cover this event, prior arrangements must be made by contacting Courtney Caprara at CapraraCL@upmc.edu