Funds Support Women’s, Children’s, Diversity and Community Health Services
HARRISBURG, Pa. – The UPMC Pinnacle Foundation board of directors released more than $660,000 in funding to UPMC Pinnacle programs and services so far in 2020.
“This year has been challenging, and many in our community are facing hardships as a result of the pandemic,” said Jessica Ritchie, vice president of development, UPMC Pinnacle Foundation.
“We are grateful to our generous donors throughout central Pennsylvania, who ensure that we are able to support these important services.”
Programs supported include:
- Community Paramedicine, UPMC Pinnacle’s Mobile Integrated Health Service that helps patients overcome challenges that they may face after discharge from the hospital, including medication management, identifying equipment needs, wound care and ensuring doctor’s appointments are kept.
- Diversity and Inclusion training for UPMC Pinnacle physicians, employees and community partners.
- Women’s Behavioral Health and perinatal loss services and materials, as well as support groups for patients struggling with postpartum depression.
- Social Services, which provide patients with the resources they need to successfully and safely go home from the hospital. Many times this fund supports transportation, medications, and durable medical equipment, helping to assist in recovery and reduce readmissions.
- Harrisburg Backpack Program, which meets the needs of elementary and middle school aged children who receive free or reduced-price school meals during times when school is closed, such as weekends and holidays. Through this program, children receive packages of child-friendly food to take home with them from school to ensure they do not go hungry over the break.
The UPMC Pinnacle Foundation’s volunteer board, led by Board Chair Meron Yemane, works in conjunction with UPMC Pinnacle Foundation staff to coordinate charitable giving that supports community benefit, education programs, and resources throughout UPMC Pinnacle and central Pennsylvania. The UPMC Pinnacle Foundation raised more than $9 million in 2020, furthering the mission and vision of UPMC Pinnacle to serve our community by providing outstanding patient care and to shape tomorrow’s health system through clinical and technological innovation, research, and education.