At UPMC Heart and Vascular Institute, we believe in a team approach to care. Our surgeons, physicians, nurses, physician assistants and nurse practitioners work closely with you to provide you with the expert care you deserve. Through our integrated heart care team, we can improve access, enhance communication and ease scheduling. Providing our patients with the highest quality of care in the safest manner possible is of utmost importance to us.
At UPMC Heart and Vascular Institute, our cardiologists are among the most respected in the region, specializing in prevention, diagnosis and advanced treatment of cardiac disease. See all cardiologists.
The interventional cardiologists at UPMC Heart and Vascular Institute have additional education and training in diagnosing and treating heart conditions through catheter-based procedures, such as angioplasty and stenting. Learn more about interventional cardiology.
The expert cardiac electrophysiologists at UPMC Heart and Vascular Institute provide advanced treatment for heart rhythm conditions such as atrial fibrillation and heart arrhythmias. Learn more about electrophysiology.
Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgeons
UPMC Heart and Vascular Institute surgeons in Central Pa. are ranked among the best nationally earning recognitions such as the coveted three-star highest quality designation for excellent heart surgery outcomes from the Society of Thoracic Surgeons. See all cardiovascular and thoracic surgeons.
UPMC Heart and Vascular Institute board-certified pediatric cardiologists are experts at the diagnosis and treatment of young patients with cardiac abnormalities, both congenital and acquired. We also follow patients with congenital abnormalities through adulthood, as these conditions may have implications for other adult heart conditions. Learn more about pediatric cardiology.
These are the services we provide in pediatric cardiology:
- Evaluation of syncope, arrhythmia, tachycardia, bradycardia, chest pain and palpitations
- Fetal cardiology
- Cardiopulmonary stress tests
- Catheterization and interventional cardiology
- Electrophysiological services
- Echocardiography including fetal, transmissional and transthoracic echocardiography
- Heart transplantation and heart failure program
- Pulmonary vascular disease program
- Pacemaker/ICD & defibrillator implementation and programming
- Ablation for arrhythmias
- Pediatric cardiopulmonary function testing
- Preventive pediatric cardiology
- Cholesterol and triglyceride management
- Hypertension and lipid management
- Multi-specialty clinics for Marfan, cardiomyopathy, arrhythmia and genetics
- Pre- and post-operative care
- Follow-up care
- Adult congenital heart disease program
Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants
At UPMC Heart and Vascular Institute we believe in a team approach to your care and have excellent physician assistants and nurse practitioners specially trained in cardiology, heart surgery, lung surgery and vascular surgery.
Our nurse practitioners and physician assistants:
- Conduct physical exams
- Diagnose and manage most common and many chronic illnesses>
- Provide counseling and education on heart conditions
- Write prescriptions
- Order and interpret diagnostic testing
- Make rounds in the hospital
- Assist in surgery
- Communicate with the patient and family during the hospital stay
Nurse practitioners and physician assistants have a strong collaborative relationship with the patient's cardiologist to ensure the highest quality and consistent care.
UPMC Heart and Vascular Institute has been recognized for nursing excellent with the prestigious Magnet designation. Our nursing program received its initial Magnet designation in 2006, achieved its second designation in 2011 and recognized again in February 2017.
Heart Care Team – Better at Serving You
When you choose a cardiologist from UPMC Heart and Vascular Institute, you gain the benefit of a heart care team.
Find a UPMC HVI Provider.
Need more information?
Cardiology and Cardiac Surgery Practices
Cumberland/Dauphin/Franklin/Perry Counties: 717-731-0101
Pediatric : 717-761-0200
Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery: 717-231-8555