Adults who need heart (cardiac) surgery have access to a full range of options at the UPMC Heart and Vascular Institute.
Our cardiac surgeons perform open heart and minimally invasive heart surgeries, including:
» Find a cardiac surgeon
And, people with thoracic aortic diseases have immediate access to advanced treatments such as:
- Minimally invasive endovascular thoracic aortic repairs using stent grafts.
- Aortic root reconstructions — using complex valve repair techniques designed by our own surgeons at UPMC's Center for Thoracic Aortic Disease — that preserve the aortic valve.
- Transcather aortic valve replacements (TAVR) – our Center for Transcatheter Aortic Valve Therapy has expertise in the most current types of valves designed for a wide range of risk for surgery.
About the UPMC Adult Cardiac Surgery Program
As a national center of excellence for heart surgery — and the largest cardiac surgery program in Pennsylvania — our surgeons and researchers have helped lead the way in developing new treatments and surgical techniques.
For example, our heart surgeons:
- Helped pioneer minimally invasive heart surgery techniques.
- Performed the first minimally invasive coronary bypass (MIDCAB) graft in the tristate (Pennsylvania, Ohio, West Virginia) region.
- Have expanded these minimally invasive approaches to include valve surgery and the use of robotics.
- Continue to perform advanced procedures and explore new approaches, including the development of techniques for durable valve repair on both mitral and aortic valves.
A rich history of excellence in cardiac surgery
Open heart surgery may be the best treatment option for most patients with more than one blocked coronary artery, according to new research from Suresh Mulukutla, MD, and other UPMC experts. Learn more.
Learn More About Heart Surgery
From our Health Library at UPMC.com: