With your health and safety in mind, UPMC in Central Pa. uses hospitalists to care for you if you have to stay in the hospital. A hospitalist is a physician who specializes in patient care in a hospital setting.
Our hospitalists are board-certified physicians. Most are internal medicine doctors, family practice doctors or pediatricians. They do not have practices outside the hospital. A dedicated team of hospitalists means fewer interruptions of care for you, less complications and an available physician 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Our hospitalists work closely as a team, so you may see more than one during your stay. They will be your primary care physicians while you are in the hospital and will:
- Manage your hospital care.
- Keep your regular physician informed of your hospital progress.
- Coordinate your care, including all diagnostic tests and procedures such as X-rays and blood tests.
- Make arrangements for any prescriptions you may need upon discharge.
- Arrange any specialty care, therapy or consults with other providers.
- Be available to you and your family to provide information and answer questions.
Benefits Of Being Cared For By A Hospital Medicine Specialist
You will benefit from being seen by physicians whose focus is completely on the care of hospitalized patients. Because they know every specialist and department in the hospital, they can more easily coordinate inpatient care, follow up on tests, and make treatment adjustments.
Both your regular physician and your hospitalist team will work together to discuss your health and make treatment decisions. Once you leave the hospital, you will return to your regular physician for medical care. If you don’t have a regular physician, we can help you find one. Records from your hospital stay can be sent to this physician.
Contact Hospital Administration
UPMC Harrisburg, Community, West Shore