The members of UPMC's oncology social work services team are available to help you and your family at every stage of the cancer treatment process. This includes diagnosis, treatment, survivorship and end of life.
Our team is specially trained and certified in oncology. We understand the challenges that come with a breast cancer diagnosis and help patients and families manage distress. Additionally, we are experts in linking patients and their families to community resources. We also provide advocacy to those with cancer and their family and friends.
UPMC in Central Pa.'s oncology social work services team can help you:
- Cope with your diagnosis and the many emotions you may be experiencing
- Understand social security benefits, disability benefits and insurance coverage
- Apply for programs that offer financial assistance
UPMC in Central Pa.'s oncology social work services team offers:
- Short-term support counseling for you and your family members
- Referrals to community counseling
- Support groups
UPMC in Central Pa.'s oncology social work services team can teach you about:
- Talking with your children, family, friends or coworkers
- Coping with your emotions including: sadness, anger, worry and fear
- Reducing stress and using relaxation skills
- Planning for your care with the use of advance directives
- Living with cancer, the issues that patients commonly experience, and the resources that are available to help you in the long term
UPMC in Central Pa.'s oncology social work services team can help you access:
- Affordable medical care and prescription drug coverage
- Transportation to and from medical care
- Referrals for help at home
- Temporary housing during your treatment
- Home health care and hospice
Speak with a member of your UPMC Breast Care Center team to learn how UPMC's oncology social work services can help you.
Need more information?