UPMC East Facts and Figures
By the Numbers
- 156 private rooms
- 140 Medical-Surgical
- 16 ICU beds
- 460-space parking garage
- 70 surface lot spaces
Emergency room bays: 24
Operating rooms: 7
Endoscopy rooms (ERCP): 2
Catheterization labs: 2
Special Features at UPMC East
- Patient-centered clinical care and amenities, including a healing garden
- Point-of-care testing
- State-of-the-art operating rooms
- Integrated interventional procedural suites
- Following Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED)-principles
- Simulation training room
- Telemedicine capabilities
Did You Know?
- UPMC East is designed with all private patient rooms and larger patient bathrooms to help reduce falls and improve safety.
- UPMC East utilized 100 percent recycling of the former building.
- The hospital is designed for energy reduction, with larger windows and maximized solar efficiencies from building orientation, and will reduce energy operating expenses by 18 percent.
- During its construction, UPMC East invested $2.4 million in storm water management improvements.
- UPMC made improvements to the intersections and roads around the site to benefit all who travel through this area, which is noted as one of the busiest intersections in Pennsylvania.