Volunteering at UPMC East
Apply to Volunteer at UPMC East.
When you volunteer at UPMC East, you become part of Your Care Our Commitment — our pledge to patients — by supporting the five core values:
- Quality & Safety. We create a safe environment where quality is our guiding principle.
- Dignity & Respect. We treat all individuals with dignity and respect.
- Caring & Listening. We listen to and care for our patients, our health plan members, our fellow employees, our physicians, and our community.
- Responsibility and Integrity. We perform our work with the highest levels of responsibility and integrity.
- Excellence and Innovation. We think creatively and build excellence into everything that we do.
Perks of Volunteering
- Free parking
- Free meal voucher up to $5 on volunteer days
Other benefits include:
- Helping others
- Gaining worthwhile career experience
- Making lasting friendships
Volunteer Requirements at UPMC East
- Must be 15 years of age or older.
- Commitment of one four hour shift per week (Except Pet Therapy volunteers).
- Attend orientation where a volunteer coordinator will match your interests and schedule with the hospital's needs.
- Submit required paperwork provided by Volunteer Coordinator.
- Have a valid Social Security Number.
Volunteer Opportunities at UPMC East
See below for some of the ways you can volunteer to help patients, families, and UPMC staff.
Not all opportunities listed are available at all times. Opportunities will be discussed in further detail during the interview process.
Assist emergency department staff in various tasks, also rounding in patient waiting area.
Volunteers greet and help visitors and families find their way throughout the hospital.
ICU Waiting Room Help
Assist visitors in visiting patients by calling back to nurses to see if patients can receive visitors at that time.
Assist with light stocking of floors and providing non – isolation patient rooms with puzzles or reading materials as requested.
Assist the nursing education department with classroom material preparation and special events.
Assist the transport staff in moving patients to and from various location within the hospital and helping with discharge of patients.
Properly licensed pet therapy dogs are welcome to visit the hospital upon completion of all proper documentation and onboarding procedures.