Visiting Hours and Guidelines
Visiting Hours at UPMC Mercy
General visiting hours are 9 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. daily for a majority of inpatient units. Some specialty care units observe different visiting hours. Check with your loved one’s nurse for additional information.
Cardiovascular Intensive Care Unit
- 9 to 10 a.m.
- 2 to 3 p.m.
- 6 to 7 p.m.
Intensive Care Unit
- 8 to 8:30 a.m.
- Noon to 2 p.m.
- 5 to 6 p.m.
- 7:30 to 8:30 p.m.
Labor and Delivery or Neonatoal Intensive Care Unit
- Speak with the unit nurse
Trauma and Burn Center
Neuro-Step Down Unit (NSDU)
We ask visitors to UPMC Mercy to observe the following general guidelines, as well as any other guidelines noted by your loved one’s patient care team:
- Visitors must enter only the area they are visiting.
- Use hand sanitizer prior to entering an inpatient care unit. For your convenience, hand sanitizer dispensers are located at the main entrances to the hospital and on each patient care unit.
- Wash hands with soap and water prior to entering your loved one’s room.
- Visitors who have an active communicable infection — such as an upper respiratory, viral, or skin infection — or infectious diarrhea, should not visit. Doing so could compromise your loved one’s recovery.
- No more than two people should visit with a patient at one time.
- If you have a special request regarding visiting hours, talk with your loved one’s nurse.
- For infection control reasons, live flowers, plants, and fresh fruit are not permitted in critical care units. Check with your loved one’s nurse to see what is permitted.
Children visiting UPMC Mercy
- Except for children of a patient, all children who visit must be at least 12 years of age.
- Check with your loved one’s nurse before having children visit.
- All children must be supervised at all times by a responsible adult.
- No child should be brought to visit if they have a fever, respiratory infection, gastrointestinal infection, diarrhea, or exposure within the preceding three weeks to measles, mumps, chicken pox, or German measles.