What is Yoga?
Using a combination of postures (asanas), breathing exercises, relaxation, and meditative techniques, yoga promotes overall health and well-being in a number of ways:
- Strength — Yoga helps to tone and strengthen every part of the body.
- Flexibility — A natural ease is established through correct stretching.
- Agility — Yoga improves coordination and balance.
- Posture — Balance, tone, and flexibility create an upright and effortless posture.
- Energy — Improved circulation and deep relaxation improve sense of well-being.
- Heart — Yoga helps with the regulation of blood pressure and improves cardiovascular health.
- Mental Health — Deep relaxation reduces stress and increases concentration.
People of all ages and physical abilities can practice yoga. If you have any questions or physical conditions that you believe might prevent you from doing yoga, check with your physician or the yoga instructor at the center before taking your first class. Modifications can be made for people with medical conditions or psychical limitations.
Learn about the Yoga Nidra Workshop (PDF).