In addition to helping you feel and look better, reaching a healthier body weight is good for your overall well being.
Risks of Obesity
Being overweight can lead to loss of self- esteem, self-confidence and even depression. Additionally, if you are overweight or obese, you have a greater risk of developing many diseases that affect your quality of life.
Research has shown that as your weight increases to levels referred to as "overweight" and "obese," your risk for the following conditions also increases:
- Coronary heart disease
- Type 2 diabetes
- Cancers (endometrial, breast, prostate, kidneys and colon)
- Neurological conditions (stroke)
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Dyslipidemia (for example, high total cholesterol or high levels of triglycerides)
- Liver and gallbladder disease
- Sleep apnea and respiratory problems
- GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease occurs when stomach acid or stomach contents, flow back into the food pipe and irritate the lining of the esophagus.)
- Hernia (when an organ or fatty tissue squeezes through a weak spot in surrounding muscle or connective tissue, like the abdominal wall)
- Lumbar disk disease
- Osteoarthritis (a degeneration of cartilage and its underlying bone within a joint)
- Gynecological problems (abnormal menses, infertility)
How to Achieve Weight Loss Through Bariatric Surgery
No matter what your weight loss goal, any weight loss is likely to produce health benefits. Such as significant and lasting weight loss improves or resolves related conditions, longer life and a happier healthier you.
Research shows even a 5 to 10 percent reduction in your body weight, can facilitate improvements in blood pressure, blood cholesterol, and blood sugars.
Need more information?
- Medical Weight Management: 717-591-5638
- UPMC Central PA Weight Management Center: 717-988-8185
Need to access your medical records? We have an app for that.
UPMC Central PA Portal providers patients across the central Pennsylvania region with secure access to their health information. It is the fastest way to send a message to your doctor, refill prescriptions, get test results, and schedule and manage appointments, including video visits.
Log-In or Sign Up Today