Having a baby is a life-changing experience that can seem overwhelming at times. Even if you have older children, you may find that you have questions or concerns about parenting or need a place where you can talk with other parents who are having similar experiences.
UPMC in Central Pa. offers several parenting classes and support groups to help you cope with the demands of parenthood. These groups meet regularly at several convenient locations.
New Parents Support Groups
An experienced member of our Womens and Children’s Services team will facilitate these meetings. All meetings are free. No older children please.
- New Parent Network. New Parent Network. For new parents and their babies aged zero to eighteen months, meets virtually Mondays from 1 to 2 p.m. and Thursdays 1-2:30 at the Camp Hill Giant, 3301 Trindle Road Camp Hill. During favorable weather the group may choose to meet at outdoor location, please join our email list for updates. For more information, to receive virtual links, and updates please email email@example.com or call our coordinator of parent child education at 717-231-8916.
- The HOPE Group. is a Postpartum Adjustment Support Group for expecting and new moms. Many new moms feel overwhelmed for weeks and/or months following the birth of their baby. They experience feelings such as exhaustion, insomnia, social withdrawal, feeling out of control, poor concentration, frequent crying, and forgetfulness. Having a safe atmosphere of recognition and support allows one to deal with feelings of inadequacy in caring for your child, guilt, and sadness.
Join us Monday evenings, where the group will be facilitated by a caring nurse with peer support, who are experienced in women's health. Sessions are held in-person at Carlisle Women's Center and also available virtually on the second and fourth Monday evening of every month at 6 p.m. Please contact 717-960-3409 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for information on how to join the virtual group.
- Working Parents Network. For working parents and their babies; this group gathers virtually at 10:30 a.m. on the second Saturday of the month. For more information, to receive virtual links, and updates please email email@example.com or call 717-231-8916.
- Lititz Breastfeeding Support Group is designed to continue to help mothers in our communities after the birth of their baby. This group offers a monthly one hour in-person opportunity for mothers to come together and communicate what is working and what is not so other mothers can learn. We support and encourage each other in whatever their feeding plan is. The lactation consultant provides evidence-based education as needed on various topics such as teething, offering solids, back-to-work, weaning. Through these support groups, mothers leave with a better understanding of breastfeeding as the mother-baby dyad continue to develop together." This group meets the second Wednesday of the month at 10 am. Register here for the support group. For more information or to ask questions, please call 717-625-5337.
- HeartStrings. Bereavement for Pregnancy Loss and Newborn death.
Heartstrings was founded to provide support to families who are grieving the loss of their baby during pregnancy, at birth or shortly after birth. You are welcome to come no matter where you are in your grief or how long it has been since your loss, You may choose to talk or just listen. Some meetings include brief presentations as well as a time for sharing. A registered nurse who is a perinatal bereavement counselor, will facilitate the meetings.
HeartStrings support group meets on the fourth Tuesday of the month from 7pm-8:30pm in the chapel on the first floor of the Helen M. Simpson Rehab Hospital, UPMC Community Osteopathic, 4300 Londonderry Road Harrisburg.
There is no fee to attend and preregistration is not required.
Please know that you are not alone in this journey. Please reach out to us for support as you work towards healing from your loss. If you would like more information, please call or email:
Kelly Garber at firstname.lastname@example.org or 717-782-3392
Need more information?
Need to access your medical records? We have an app for that.
UPMC Central PA Portal providers patients across the central Pennsylvania region with secure access to their health information. It is the fastest way to send a message to your doctor, refill prescriptions, get test results, and schedule and manage appointments, including video visits.
Log-In or Sign Up Today