As the region’s health care leader, UPMC is committed to improving the health and well-being of its communities.
Giving Back and Improving Lives
$912 million — Fiscal Year 2016 community contributions using IRS definition
UPMC contributed $912 million, or more than 15 percent of its net patient revenue, to community services. UPMC Susquehanna and UPMC Chautauqua recently joined the organization, making UPMC’s total community benefits $900 million.
$217 million — Healthy Lives and Healthy Communities
Enhancing health and wellness through 3,000 free and subsidized programs:
- Immunizations, medications, home visits, and transportation
- Support for seniors, children, and people with disabilities
- Stop the Bleed Emergency Preparedness, smoking cessation, and celebrating cancer survivors
UPMC’s success enables generous community contributions — $2.6 million per day — that go far beyond the bounds of traditional health care delivery.
$288 million — Caring for the Vulnerable
Committing more to charity care than any other health system in Pennsylvania:
- $91 million in charity care
- $197 million to cover unreimbursed costs of care provided to Medicaid beneficiaries — UPMC cares for half of all Medicaid patients in western Pennsylvania.
UPMC cares for a disproportionate share of high-need patients:
- 9 out of 10 children from low-income families in Allegheny County
- 4 out of 5 patients with behavioral health needs in Pittsburgh
- 7 out of 10 pediatric patients from low-income families in Erie
- 9 out of 10 Medicaid patients in Altoona
- 9 out of 10 babies born to low-income families in Williamsport
$407 million — Making Opportunity Happen
Sponsoring 98 percent of all hospital-funded research in western Pennsylvania:
- $230 million in direct medical research funding to the University of Pittsburgh
- $177 million in medical education programs to foster the next generation of physicians, nurses, pharmacists, and other health care professionals
UPMC is empowering the next generation and enhancing the
- UPMC made its final payment on its $100 million pledge to the Pittsburgh Promise college scholarship program, fulfilling a one-of-a-kind commitment to developing the region’s youth.
UPMC Insurance Services
- UPMC Health Plan is among the nation's fastest-growing health plans with more than 3.5 million members. It offers coverage to seniors, low-income individuals and families, and those with disabilities, through UPMC for You, UPMC for Life, UPMC for Kids, and Community Care Behavioral Health.
- UPMC offers the largest Medical Assistance plan in western Pennsylvania and the largest nonprofit behavioral health managed care program in the United States.
Total Economic Impact of $30 Billion
Every dollar directly spent by UPMC creates more than twice as much impact.
- With more than 87,000 employees, UPMC is Pennsylvania's largest nongovernmental employer and supports more than one in five hospital jobs.
- UPMC committed more than $100 million in support for minority and women-owned businesses.
- UPMC paid more than $400 million in taxes to federal, state, and local municipalities.
UPMC Is Addressing the Needs of Communities and Making Them Stronger
UPMC is deeply rooted in its communities, and provides more than 3,000 established programs focused on prevention and healthy living, chronic disease management, and navigating resources. UPMC continues to extend its outstanding health care services to many diverse communities throughout Pennsylvania.
Tackling the Opioid Epidemic with Compassionate Care
- UPMC’s Pregnancy Recovery Center is the first outpatient, opioid treatment in the region to wrap addiction treatment around prenatal care — fewer babies are born needing withdrawal medications
- UPMC’s Peer Navigator and Warm Hand-Off programs offer hope and support to patients struggling with addiction
- Helping more people get care through expansion of addiction treatment services into primary care settings and in suburban and rural communities
Caring for Rural Communities
- Improving access to health care in rural areas through telemedicine — making expert medical care more convenient, saving patients time and miles travelled
- Providing in-home educators to help patients better manage their diabetes
Supporting Seniors During Their Golden Years
- Keeping seniors on the go through Wellapalooza events, sponsored visits to the Pittsburgh and Erie zoos, and hosting activities from tai chi to bingo
- Connecting seniors and caregivers to resources — from in-home services to caregiver support — through the Aging Institute Help and Referral Line
- Providing education sessions on a variety of topics from living wills to medication management at Ask the Pharmacist events
Fighting Childhood Obesity
- Launched the Healthy Schools Program at 65 schools in the local Pittsburgh area
- Promoting healthier eating through smarter lunchroom strategies and cooking classes in schools
- “Prescribing” park use for local youth to promote physical activity
Nationally Recognized for Meeting Community Health Needs
UPMC was one of only seven hospital systems from across the country selected by the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) to serve as a leading example of how a hospital can successfully impact the health of local residents through community health needs assessments (CHNA).
Two of UPMC’s hospitals were identified by the AAMC as best-practice hospitals in conducting CHNAs, especially in preventing childhood obesity and caring for rural communities.