This delightful and nutritious plant-based snack from the UPMC Catering Department will keep you fueled throughout the day.
Blend a banana with oats, dates, chocolate chips, and spices — shape into balls — and throw in the fridge until firm.
These yummy, bite-sized snacks are perfect for on-the-go noshing or satisfying your sweet tooth in a healthy way.
What You Need to Make Plant-Based Banana Nut Energy Bites
- 1 medium banana, very ripe.
- 8 oz. dried, pitted dates.
- 1 cup extra thick rolled oats.
- ¼ cup whole brown flax seed.
- 2 Tbsp. black chia seed.
- ½ tsp. pure vanilla extract.
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon.
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg.
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt.
- ½ cup shelled walnut halves and pieces.
- 2 oz. vegan chocolate chips.
How to Make Banana Nut Energy Bites
- Line a small sheet tray with parchment paper.
- Add all of the ingredients — except walnuts and chocolate chips — to your food processor. Process until it forms a thick mass. Stop the machine and scrape down the sides as needed.
- Break up slightly with a spatula. Add walnuts to the mixture. Pulse to slightly chop and distribute the nuts.
- Break up the mixture one more time. Add chocolate chips and pulse a few times to distribute the chips. Or simply stir in the chips.
- Using a #24 scoop (or measuring to 1.33 oz. per ball), scoop into 24 equal-sized balls.
- Place balls on lined sheet tray and refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours, or until they're firm.
Plant-Based Banana Nut Energy Bites Nutrition Facts
Yield: 24 bites.
Portion: 1 each.
- Calories = 79 kcal.
- Carbs = 12.3 gm.
- Protein = 1.9 gm.
- Fat = 3.1 gm.
- % Cal./Fat = 32.8%.
- Chol. = 0 mg.
- Sodium = 26 mg.
- Fiber/Dietary = 2.4 gm.
- Calcium = 14 mg.