Your life is busy. We get that, which is why Magee-Womens, UPMC Hamot offers access to expert care for gynecologic cancers close to home.
UPMC Magee-Womens Hospital experts provide:
- Thorough testing to diagnose women's cancers.
- Advanced gynecologic cancer treatments.
- Virtual visits so you don't need to travel as often.
- Follow-up care at Magee-Womens, UPMC Hamot in Erie.
Our women's cancer doctors give seamless treatment, no matter where you live.
Types of Gynecologic Cancers We Treat
Gynecologic cancers form when cells in the female reproductive organs grow in ways they shouldn't.
These cancers include:
Diagnosing Women's Reproductive Cancers
We use a range of tests to diagnose gynecologic cancers.
Doctors use a screening test to see if changes to cells in the cervix may turn into cancer.
During a pap test, doctors place an instrument (speculum) into the vagina to spread the vaginal walls. They scrape cells from the cervix and send the sample for an expert to look at with a microscope.
We use machines to take detailed pictures of the organs to look for tumors or see if gynecologic cancer has spread.
Doctors take a tissue or fluid sample from tumors or from places with suspect cells. Experts look at these samples with a microscope to see if they have cancer cells.
We may use minimally invasive gynecologic techniques, such as:
- Colposcopy. Doctors insert a device with a light and magnifying lens into the vagina. They check the area and take tissue samples to send to the lab.
- Hysteroscopy. Doctors insert a thin tube with a light and camera through the vagina and into the uterus. After they look at the uterus, they take tissue samples to study.
- Laparoscopy. Doctors make small incisions in the abdomen and insert a thin tube with a camera. They check the reproductive organs and take tissue samples to study.
Gynecologic Cancer Treatments
Magee-Womens, UPMC Hamot offers advanced treatments and access to a team of cancer experts at UPMC Magee-Womens Hospital.
Our team works together to make sure you get the best treatment for you.
Minimally invasive gynecologic surgery
Our gynecologic surgeons use minimally invasive techniques including laparoscopic and robot-assisted to remove tumors.
These techniques use small incisions, so recovery is quicker and scars are smaller.
Medicine to treat gynecologic cancers
Cancer doctors at UPMC Hillman Cancer Center use medicines to treat cancers of the female reproductive system.
Depending on the cancer type, we use:
Radiation to treat women's reproductive cancers
Experts at UPMC Hillman Cancer Center in Erie use powerful beams of energy to treat gynecologic tumors.
Why Choose UPMC Magee-Womens for Care?
- UPMC Magee-Womens Hospital is nationally known for the quality of our care.
- U.S. News & World Report has rated our gynecology program as among the country's best in its yearly rankings.
- The Office on Women's Health has also named Magee as a National Center of Excellence in Women's Health.
Meet Our Gynecologic Cancer Experts
Our cancer experts use the newest technologies and treatments.
The UPMC gynecologic cancer care team includes:
Make an Appointment for Gynecologic Cancer Care
Call 1-814-877-8950 to make an appointment at UPMC Magee-Womens Specialty Services at UPMC Hamot.
118 E. 2nd St., Suite 1340, Erie, PA 16507